Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sharpening high-end blades...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Sharpening high-end blades...

by JoePerry » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:49 pm

A couple of my better knives, two handmade Robert Herder knives and one Santoku, are getting a touch dull. I sharpen all of my other knives with a conventional "V" tool, but these are carbon steel (100% in the case of the Herder) and I'm afraid to ruin them. I've been told to use a stone, but I don't know which to buy, and I don't have much practice with using them. I remember Bob Ross talking a few years back about a tri-sharpener, though I can't remember the details. Would that be safe to use on these knives? If not, can someone suggest the sharpening stone I should buy?

Thanks,
Joe
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Sharpening high-end blades...

by Bob Ross » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:59 pm

Joe, here's the unit I have been using: http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

The people at this company are really very helpful -- I suggest you contact them directly for any suggestions on using it for your knives.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:04 pm

Thanks, Bob. I'll contact them and see if they recommend it for my knives.

Looks like a good gift to register for come wedding time.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:39 pm

Hi Joe...

We recently purchase a Füri TECH EDGE Pro Knife Sharpening System for our Furi knife set. Pete has been very happy with how it works (I don't go near it) and it's put the edges back on our old Mundial set as well. Don't know how it would work on your knives, but thought I'd pass on the website anyway (have to support our Aussie companies, after all.. :)).

There is some info about sharpening on their website here : http://www.furitechnics.com.au/nobullzone_aus.html

All care, no responsibility, mate ! I know how particular foodies get about their knives, so don't shoot me if it's not the right thing for you, ok ? <grin>

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:58 pm

A suggestion would be to go to a woodworking supply store and look at the diamond sharpeners or Arkansas stones. Either will make your knives like razors. They also have many other sharpening systems, too. Personally, I'm not fond at all of the V-type sharpeners.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:37 am

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:33 pm

I use a small grinding wheel...it was designed for sharpening barber's blades, but it works nicely for knives and scissors.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:04 pm

celia wrote:Hi Joe...

We recently purchase a Füri TECH EDGE Pro Knife Sharpening System for our Furi knife set. Pete has been very happy with how it works (I don't go near it) and it's put the edges back on our old Mundial set as well. Don't know how it would work on your knives, but thought I'd pass on the website anyway (have to support our Aussie companies, after all.. :)).

There is some info about sharpening on their website here : http://www.furitechnics.com.au/nobullzone_aus.html

All care, no responsibility, mate ! I know how particular foodies get about their knives, so don't shoot me if it's not the right thing for you, ok ? <grin>

Cheers, Celia

You just want to read posts about me injuring myself, don't you? :shock:
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:17 pm

No, no, no !! At least not before the wedding... :)

You take care, you mad man. Heading into chat, hope to see you there...

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jeff Caldwell

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 am

New Jersey

by Jeff Caldwell » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Having been down the road of destroying my knives, please heed my advice.

Take your knives to a professional and have them sharpened properly!

Its typically not too expensive and if you consider replacing your high end knives its not a bad alternative.

Just my $0.02

Cheers all.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Joe, I haven't done so yet, but I am planning on getting 3-4 of the Warther knives. here is a link to their web page. http://www.warthers.com/kitchen_knives/warther_faq.php

They address your question in their FAQ which is the link I included.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Joel Sprague

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:21 am

by Joel Sprague » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:29 pm

The Spyderco is a great choice. Make sure you watch the video if you get it. I've done everything from buying knives to making my own, and really like the spyderco as an easy to use option. Though i also sharpen with stones, with ceramic sticks, with steels (which aren't really sharpening, just straightening edge) and even with belt sander. Extra fine or cork belt with some rubbing compound on 72" grinder can put an edge on ANYTHING in no time flat. :)
in vino veritas
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:02 pm

Oh my goodness.....somewhere in Boston is an elderly, retired guy who knows all about knives and is willing to come to your home in his fully equipped van, or at best, take them home to his professional shop and sharpen your knives.
I trust you use the steel on your knives before each and every chore, and if you do, they do not need to be sharpened every year. Unless, of course you are using them like a professional chef might use their knives. My knives are all high-end and my favorite is the Santoku. I had them sharpened 18 months ago and they are still in fine shape, with moderate use for two folks who eat a lot of fresh food. My guy also sharpens the surgical knives for our local hospitals, so check around.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:16 pm

I have a question: When I give a knife a couple of passes over the steel, do I have to be concerned about wiping little steel bits (or little knife bits) off the blade?

[ I have tried researching this question and gotten a hundred different answers. I have faith, however, in the expertise of the folks here. ]
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:26 pm

The "steel" will maintain the edge of your knife if used regularly. Drawing the edge of the blade across the steel realigns the microscopic fibers found on the very edge of the blade. I always wipe my knife and steel after the proceduce, but I have never noticed anything on my towel from the knife. Sometimes the steel leaves residue.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:43 pm

Jeff, it depends if you are honing or sharpening your blade.

The CIA teaches the following, which I've checked with a number of knife collectors and maker, including my son -- an expensive hobby I must say.

Honing is done every time you use your knife -- I hit each edge 10 times before and after using my chef's knife, sometimes during use. The honing steel is a steel stick with grooves in the steel. The purpose of the honing steel is to basically straighten the edge of the blade, which is thin and will bend a bit during use. If you look at the edge along its length before and after honing you can see a distinct difference; a good test of a properly honed blade is its ability to cut a sheet of paper held perpendicular to the blade's edge. Very little if any material is removed by proper honing -- think "shaving" and "straightening", not "sharpening".

[The CIA technique: Hold the knife and the steel at a 20 degree angle to each other along the cutting edge, and draw the blade across the steel with a sweeping motion as if you were shaving the steel [or draw the steel across the blade in a similar fashion. I find it easiest to put the end of the steel on the counter, and either lift or lower it to the 20 degree angle, depending on which edge I'm straightening, hold the steel steady, and shave the edge of the blade by moving the knife.

More coordinated folks use much nicer techniques -- watching a pro hone moving both knife and steel like a conductor in front of the Philharmonic is a great joy -- but this simple technique works well for me. The 20 degree angle is always "correct" and stable.]

Sharpening is a whole different technique, often involving oil or water, and material is removed. It shouldn't be necessary more often than once every two or three months for a home cook. I do think material is removed then and I would stay far away from food when sharpening knives.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:29 am

I am talking about honing.

Thank you both!