Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipes for Otto - harissa and homous

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Recipes for Otto - harissa and homous

by Celia » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:15 pm

As requested by Otto, but please bear in mind all my quantities are very "fluid". They're also my interpretations, so unlikely to be truly authentic..

Harissa Paste

7 Long Red Chillies
4 Red Bullet chillies
2 tsps each of ground cumin, coriander and caraway seeds
1/2 tsp Malden sea salt
2 tsp ground sweet paprika
30 or more fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic
Water

Wash and deseed chillies (I wear gloves, I'm a wuz), place all dry ingredients in blender, add a little water and puree. Add olive oil and continue to blend, adding more water if necessary to get a nice wet consistency. I like this more sauce like than paste, so I generally add a bit more water. Sometimes if I'm feeling good I'll use more water and less olive oil. If I don't have bullet chillies, I might add a tsp of kashmiri chilli powder.

Homous

This was adapted from a recipe I saw for Syrian homous, which is apparently smoother and much less oily than western versions.

1 tin chick peas (drained)
little hot water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
juice of one lemon
tahini
olive oil
salt

Put chick peas and garlic in blender and puree with a little hot water. Add lemon juice and a few large spoonfuls of tahini to taste (maybe start with two dessert spoonfuls). Add salt to taste, and more water if necessary to bring to smooth paste. Add just a little olive oil at the end, or you can drizzle olive oil over when you serve.

The program I watched served this spread out on a plate, and topped with slices of lamb fillets which had been rolled in sumac and pan-fried. The final dish was sprinkled with sumac and drizzled with olive oil (and presumably served with bread).

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Recipes for Otto - harissa and homous

by Saina » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:54 am

Merci! I'll report back how I managed with them.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.