Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I hate time change and other ramblings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

I hate time change and other ramblings

by Larry Greenly » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:03 am

I hate the semi-annual time change (earlier this year). My finely tuned body has trouble changing its circadian rhythms for about a week post-change. Even Albuquerque's traffic lights are having fits today and screwing up traffic. Call it Ben's one bad idea.

Last weekend saw me at the 19th Fiery Foods Festival. There were a number of new exhibitors that had outstanding products. My favorite sauce from Australia, Byron Bay Chilli's "Fiery Coconut Chilli Sauce with Curry & Ginger" not only won a 1st Place Scovie Award, but also the Scovie Grand Award. http://www.byronbaychilli.com/

And, Cynthia, I introduced myself to fireman Jim Campbell of Mild to Wild Pepper & Herb Co out of Indiana. Jim says he remembers a Cynthia, but not a Wenslow, so I hope I found the right guy. Jim grows all kinds of chiles, including the Red Savina Hananero (until recently, the hottest chile).

My major fun last week started with flickering lights, which I noticed in the chandelier over the dining table. The flickering got progressively worse while I looked for the cause. The flickering progressed to the point that it looked like someone was sending Morse code over a couple of the circuits in my house--which made it impossible to use my computer, even with a UPS.

Finally, half my house would go dark for minutes, then a few hours at a time. First forward over testing circuit breakers, etc: my cousin came over and diagnosed the problem as not receiving any power on one of the phases.

I called the power company (of course, they arrived ten minutes after power came back on after 2-1/2 hours of darkness) and they discovered the problem in about one minute. It was the electrical connectors on my roof that connect the power line to the wire in my electrical meter. They were weatherbeaten and making intermittent contact. A few snips and two new connectors later, I was back in business--all in about 5 minutes. And it was on their dime. Whew!
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: I hate time change and other ramblings

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:40 pm

When I was young man, I hated daylight savings time. But as I've grown older, I've come to appreciate the added daylight in the evenings.

Even if means I have to get up before daylight now. But, heck...I haven't slept 8 full hours in years. Seems like the older I get, the less sleep I need. I'm pretty much Ok nowadays on 5-6 hours sleep per night.

Richard
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:58 pm

Oh Larry, I should have told you either the married name or the nickname Jim knows me by! I never thought to do that. Yes, that was the right guy. I couldn't get down there this year because of work stuff. Again.

My guess for your power problem was going to be related to the water project. Just when they thought they were done in my friend's neighborhood, they ripped up the street again late last week. Sheesh.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:41 am

The time-change this year was way to dang early.

It's like midnight when I go to work.

Grrrrrr :x