Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Breakfast for Dinner (sort of)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Breakfast for Dinner (sort of)

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Inspired by Jenise's post on scrambled eggs and Dale's post on Chilean Riesling, I decided to make scrambled eggs and sauteed spinach for dinner, accompanied by Cousino-Macul Dona Isadora 2005 Riesling.

For starters, I forgot to bring Jenise's recipe with me, and my less than stellar memory resulted in rosemary instead of mint, no tomatoes and the cheap Chavrie in a tub goat cheese. Nonetheless, it was really tasty, although a bit too heavy on the rosemary when all was said and done (I rarely measure when I cook).

The first thing that I think I noticed about the wine was a slight petrol scent, but I thought that those sorts of characteristics usually only arise in older Rieslings?? Anyway, the taste alternated between pineapple and lime, with the pineapple more noticeable after a bite of the eggs, and the lime after the spinach sauteed in butter and garlic. There were several moments when it was almost too sweet, and I kept thinking "Limon", as in a soft drink. Still, it was an overall pleasant combination.

Once the food was out of the picture, the acidity seemed to pick up somewhat and I got a brief sense of green apples.

However, now that I'm finishing up the glass and it has warmed a bit, the lime is back in full force.

All in all, not bad for a $7 bottle of wine and 15 minutes in the kitchen. (the "sort of" in the post title refers to the fact that I don't normally have wine with breakfast) :lol:
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Breakfast for Dinner (sort of)

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 pm

K Story wrote:All in all, not bad for a $7 bottle of wine and 15 minutes in the kitchen. (the "sort of" in the post title refers to the fact that I don't normally have wine with breakfast) :lol:

Ahhh, but a splash of Port in a cup of yogurt and raisins tossed over some bite-size Shredded Wheat ain't half bad.
And now what?