Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Does anyone else make those fried breadcrumb patties?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Does anyone else make those fried breadcrumb patties?

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:34 pm

I was just breading and frying some chicken breasts to prep for some chicken parm. At the end of the frying, I took the leftover flour, egg dip, and seasoned breadcrumbs, mixed them, made patties and fried them. My family has been recycling the breading fixin's this way since before Mercator could read a map.

Does anyone else do this? (If you don't, you should!)

By the way, I seasoned the breadcrumbs with a blend of romano and parmesan cheeses, garlic powder, salt and pepper. To accompany these fried delights and counteract the cholesterol, I had a couple of glasses of resvertarol-laden BV Century Cellars '05 California Merlot.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Does anyone else make those fried breadcrumb patties?

by Maria Samms » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:25 am

No Gary...I have never done this, and neither has my family. I am surprised that my grandparents didn't because they never wasted anything. I will absolutely try that though...sounds super yummy! I really hate throwing any food away. Thanks for the tip.

btw, I made the ketchup (aka catsup) beef stew the other day and Nonni was right...it was really delicious.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:35 am

Deconstructed French Toast.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:01 am

No, never did that--sounds like a great idea though Gary!
On the other hand--and Stuart reminded me of this--I have always cooked the leftover egg mixture from the French toast for an interesting little omelet for someone.

Also, speaking of using everything, I can remember my dad making something called fredabrot (not sure of spelling. someone who knows German may be able to help). After pan searing our steaks for dinner, he would add a little water to the pan and then reduce it somewhat. The leftover juice was for sopping up with some good white bread. All five of us kids would fight over it. I think this has something to do with why I am such a carnivore today. :twisted:
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:04 am

Yup - Christmas Eve, when making the stuffed calamari, there's always extra bread stuffing (bread, egg, grated romano, fresh garlic, parsley, salt and pepper) I always make a few small patties and fry them up for the kitchen spectators.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:47 am

Maria Samms wrote:No Gary...I have never done this, and neither has my family. I am surprised that my grandparents didn't because they never wasted anything. I will absolutely try that though...sounds super yummy! I really hate throwing any food away. Thanks for the tip.

btw, I made the ketchup (aka catsup) beef stew the other day and Nonni was right...it was really delicious.

You'll lose your N.J. cuginette license, if you don't fry those crumbs! :lol: It is delicious and, as John notes below, you can enhance the batter with some parsley etc. Just be sure they're done in the middle.

So you tried the catsup thing with beef stew! We usually did that with pot roast, but I imagine the effect is the same in beef stew. How did hubby like it? We can start a show on the TV Food Network: "Cooking with Catsup" or maybe "Kooking with Ketchup?"
And now what?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:49 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Deconstructed French Toast.

Really? I never made French French Toast or at least I don't think I have. My New Jersey French Toast involves dipping stale bread in a tasty egg batter of some sort. Is that not French Toast? Some day I'll have to read a cook book.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:51 am

John Tomasso wrote:Yup - Christmas Eve, when making the stuffed calamari, there's always extra bread stuffing (bread, egg, grated romano, fresh garlic, parsley, salt and pepper) I always make a few small patties and fry them up for the kitchen spectators.

If we lived across the street from one another, we would probably grow quite fat together. Those patties are always the best part.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:55 am

Carrie L. wrote:No, never did that--sounds like a great idea though Gary!
On the other hand--and Stuart reminded me of this--I have always cooked the leftover egg mixture from the French toast for an interesting little omelet for someone.

Also, speaking of using everything, I can remember my dad making something called fredabrot (not sure of spelling. someone who knows German may be able to help). After pan searing our steaks for dinner, he would add a little water to the pan and then reduce it somewhat. The leftover juice was for sopping up with some good white bread. All five of us kids would fight over it. I think this has something to do with why I am such a carnivore today. :twisted:

Well, I know German and "Brot" is "bread," but I'm at a loss for the "freda" part. I will have to meditate on that for a while unless one of our native German members can sort it out more quickly. (I have a few odd etymologies in the back of my head, but they can't be.)
And now what?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:

Really? I never made French French Toast or at least I don't think I have. My New Jersey French Toast involves dipping stale bread in a tasty egg batter of some sort. Is that not French Toast? Some day I'll have to read a cook book.

That's exactly it. Grind up the bread and mix it in with the batter and you've got your fried breadcrumb dish. Literally deconstructed; Foucault would be proud.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:57 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:

That's exactly it. Grind up the bread and mix it in with the batter and you've got your fried breadcrumb dish. Literally deconstructed; Foucault would be proud.

Hmmm, miettes perdues. Sounds tastier than fried breadcrumbs.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:37 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:We can start a show on the TV Food Network: "Cooking with Catsup" or maybe "Kooking with Ketchup?"

Gary, if you kook anything, it had better be on a Kamado! :)
Bob Henrick