Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Need a hot appetizer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Need a hot appetizer

by Carrie L. » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 am

I'm having a dinner party Saturday night for a total of eight people.
On the menu is rack of pork prepared ala rack of lamb (dijon mustard, breadcrumbs, rosemary) with a cranberry/port sauce. Haven't decided on my sides yet, but I'm thinking maybe a potato gratin and a green veggie--maybe green beans with shallots and wild mushrooms.

Appetizers will be outside by the pool. One will be ice cold, sweet and spicy marinated shrimp. I'm trying to think of something hot or warm to serve along with it but I'm coming up blank. I'd like it to be on the light side as I want everyone to be hungry for dinner. I was thinking baked brie, but that's getting a little tired. Same goes for hot artichoke dip....

Any great ideas for me? You guys are the best....
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

Re: Need a hot appetizer

by Ryan D » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:00 am

You can do a lot with bruschetta. Cold, hot, spicy, southwestern, whatever.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:01 am

Leave the mushrooms out of your green bean dish, and do stuffed mushrooms right out of the oven instead.
You can stuff them with a tasty bread crumb filling, or tapenade, or a sausage mixture, or......?
They can be prepped ahead of time, panned up, and then popped in the oven when the guests arrive. They're done in a few minutes, and they're easy to eat.

Or how about figs, stuffed with gorgonzola, and wrapped with bacon, quick grilled on the barbecue? A little bit more labor intensive than the mushrooms, because they have to be managed on the grill, but they're a tasty treat.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:05 am

How about some thin slices of nice NC country ham, wrapped around a mild, easily meltable white cheese (mozarella? jack?), warmed just enough to make the cheese a bit gooey.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:41 am

Carrie, I'm into puff pastry these days, and I find people more and more appreciate being served vegetable-based appetizers, so here are two elegant options that are hot, aromatic, and easy to eat standing up:

1) Riffing off of John Tomasso's suggestion, what about individual little mushroom wellingtons? Put a little dijon mustard into the cap of a raw, stemless mushroom, then fill it with a small scoop of pork or duck liver pate. Tuck the mushroom in a small square of puff pastry, pate side up for baking. Pop them into a hot oven; they're done when the pastry's golden, about 15 minutes. Plan two per guest.

2) Asparagus is just coming into season. Blanch a bunch of trimmed spears, shock in ice water to stop the cooking, spread on a towel to dry. Meanwhile, sprinkle some grated parmesan over a sheet of puff pastry, then top with another sheet. Top half the sheet with even more parmesan, then fold the un-cheesed part over. You now have four layers with cheese between them--roll back out to the original thickness of one sheet. Cut into rectangles at least two inches shorter than the asparagus spears, brush with water and roll a spear inside each piece, allowing the asparagus to hang out on each end. Lay the pastry-jacketed spears on a silpat or parchment covered baking sheet, brush with egg wash and bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden. Depending on the thickness of your spears, plan 3 or 4 per guest.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:50 am

Hi Carrie,

You have gotten some great suggestions so far.

Whenever I do a hot appetizer, I always do bacon wrapped dates. They are a big hit and simple to make. Not sure if you want to do bacon since you are having a pork entree for dinner though.

I will also do mini quiches. I really like Jenise's puff pastries suggestions as well.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Ditto on the asparagus suggestion. At this time of year, I go simple and just toss trimmed spears with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and a little balsamico, then grill 'em.

And I'll put in a plug for my chevre-stuffed peppadews...
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:22 am

Thank you ALL for your suggestions. They are all terrific and I have written them down for future reference.

Reading all the mushroom and asparagus suggestions, I was inspired. I'm going to grill portabellas and asparagus, slice them up and create quesadillas. Figure I can easily cut them into wedges and serve along with some good guacamole.

Maria, I have made the bacon wrapped dates before (we live in the date capital of the country :) and they are delicious. People do love them. I stuff mine with chive cream cheese. Do you stuff your with anything first?

Thank you again for the great ideas everyone!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:41 am

Quesadillas! Brilliant choice. And so California, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:34 pm

mmmmm....portabella and aspargus quesadillas...sounds delicious!

I have never stuffed my dates before Carrie, but that does sound very yummy...I will definitely have to try it!

Let us know how the party goes!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin