Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Mint and lemon thyme ice cream

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

RCP: Mint and lemon thyme ice cream

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:25 am

Ran across fresh lemon thyme and some very fragrant peppermint at a market a couple of days ago. I thought the two might make a nice ice cream, so I ended up modifying a recipe for mint ice cream from "Ice Cream!", by Pippa Cuthbert and Lindsay Cameron Wilson. (This is a really good book for basic ice cream recipes and techniques, IMHO.) I didn't measure things out too carefully, so the RCP is a bit sloppy. I don't think it matters for something like this, though.

1 1/2 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 c. whole milk
1/2 c. (or thereabouts) mixture of fresh mint leaves and sprigs of lemon thyme
3/4 c. superfine sugar
2 whole large eggs

Blend the cream, milk, mint, and thyme in a blender. Pour into a heavy-bottomed saucepan and slowly heat to near-boiling. Reduce the heat and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Remove from heat, strain, and allow to cool slightly.

Meanwhile, in a separate heatproof bowl, beat the eggs and sugar, using an electric mixer, until thick and pale. Gradually beat the milk into the egg mixture. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and continue stirring until the mixture is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove the bowl from the heat and cover the surface directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Allow the custard to cool completely before refrigerating for at least one hour. (Or cool over a bowl of ice and water.)

Once chilled, churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. When frozen, transfer to a freezer container and put in freezer.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child