Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Curry Rubbed Beef Accompaniement

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

Curry Rubbed Beef Accompaniement

by Tom V » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:33 pm

About to head home for dinner and I was trying to figure out what I should uncork for a slow cooker cooked roast beef that was rubbed down with a rub of curry, tumeric, powdered ginger, & tyme before being slow cooked with some vegies & a can of diced tomatoes. Any suggestions? Tom V
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Curry Rubbed Beef Accompaniement

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:27 pm

Either a big zin or a gewurztraminer.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:28 pm

Thanks for that input Cynthia. I was thinking along those lines myself expecting the Curry/spiciness the be significant, but actually the dish turned out to be rather mild, more like your typical slow cooked roast beef with veggies.

So I too was thinking a slightly sweet white like a gerwurz or a reisling, and for a red either a zin as you mentioned or a fruity Beaujolais.
Well maybe one of those with the leftovers, what I popped last night was one of my NY state french hybrid wines a Keuka Overlook Wine Cellars Rougeon. Nicely tart, slightly sweet, with a bit of that french hybrid funkiness, very grapey and fruity. I loved it, what can I say I know that technically these wines are out of the norm but I love them just the same, my wife hated it. To me, it went great with the meal, hey what the heck, I love grape juice too don't I?! Tom V
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:08 pm

Tom V wrote:About to head home for dinner and I was trying to figure out what I should uncork for a slow cooker cooked roast beef that was rubbed down with a rub of curry, tumeric, powdered ginger, & tyme before being slow cooked with some vegies & a can of diced tomatoes. Any suggestions? Tom V

A bit late I know but with this curried beef dish I would go for a low tannin red, rose or better still a sparkling shiraz.