Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Honey-mint-scallion marinated grilled lamb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Honey-mint-scallion marinated grilled lamb

by Jenise » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:52 pm

Here at Chez Stone, "lamb steak" is what we call a butterflied leg of lamb grilled rare and cut into thin slices, like a London broil. Ian's post about the combination of honey+mint+lamb got me to thinking about the combination last week such that when I chose that cut of meat for a dinner party main course, nothing but those flavors would do for my marinade. Not only would the honey give a nice flavor, it would guarantee that I'd have a fantastic charred exterior on the lamb to contrast with the rosy red middle and the green of Francesco's courgette pasta underneath.

We loved the result and would absolutely do this dish again.

Here's the marinade:

1/2 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup parsley
3 tblsp honey
4 whole green onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
olive oil to make paste, about 1/2 cup

Place the ingredients in a blender and whiz to a thick paste. Add more olive oil if neccessary. Debone lamb. Make a few half inch gashes in the lamb for the marinade to seep into, and place lamb and marinade in a ziploc bag. Chill 8 hours or overnight. When ready to grill, salt the lamb liberally and grill to desired doneness--about 30 minutes for medium rare. Allow to rest for ten minutes before carving.

Thanks, Ian and Francesco, for the inspiration.
Last edited by Jenise on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Two stupid questions

by Bill Spencer » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:43 pm

%^)

How many people would this recipe serve ?

How thick/thin do you slice the lamb and do you slice it perpindicular or at an angle ?

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Two stupid questions

by Jenise » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:14 am

Bill, that would depend on the size of the lamb leg. My piece was 2 and a half pounds once the bone was removed and it served 8, but it was the third course and hors d'ouvres had been served as well. None of the women took seconds, but the men did and finished it completely. I would nominally allow 1/2 lb meat per person after boning.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: RCP: Honey-mint-scallion marinated lamb steak

by Sue Courtney » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:55 pm

Sounds good Jenise. Might try that on backstraps (loin fillet) next time we get them. Sounds good for the BBQ too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: RCP: Honey-mint-scallion marinated lamb steak

by Jenise » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:25 pm

Sue, glad you replied to this. Reading through the thread again, I just realized I forgot to include the honey in my recipe!

And yes, great for the barbie.
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

One unanswered stupid question

by Bill Spencer » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:03 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:%^)

How thick/thin do you slice the lamb and do you slice it perpindicular or at an angle ?

Clink !

%^)

?
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: One unanswered stupid question

by Jenise » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:17 pm

Bill Spencer wrote:
Bill Spencer wrote:%^)

Clink !

%^)

?

Bill, sorry to have missed your question the first time. I tried to cut the slices about 1/4-3/8" thick. I wanted thin slices and that's about as thin as you can cut rare meat. (To be clear, I cooked the meat whole and cut it only at service.)