Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pasta alla matriciana ... revisited

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 am

Belgium

Pasta alla matriciana ... revisited

by FrancescoP » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Well ... wedding is gone, honeymoon ... well in a few months. So I am back cooking and this time I have decided (finally) to tinker with the Matriciana recipe (which is different from the Amatriciana ...). The result is really really nice. The photo shows fusilli, but I would go for spaghetti (we did not have any spaghetti in the house :( )

Special equipment: none

Ingredients (for 2):
200g long pasta (spaghetti, bucatini or fusilli)
120g guanciale or unsalted bacon
5 tbsp (6-year) Aceto Sopraffino
12 drops Tabasco
1 shallot
1 sprig of common thyme
8 tbsp of pure tomato juice (italian Passata)
5 basil leaves
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and oil to taste

Ingredient note: The “Aceto Sopraffino” is the best vinegar choice for this dish. If not available, use the lightest available “Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale”. It must be not too sweet to overpower the Tabasco. Same goes for the “guanciale” (cured pig cheeks), replace it with bacon only if strictly necessary.

How-to:
1. Cube the guanciale (or bacon) and marinate it for at least 30’ in the Sopraffino, 10 drops of Tabasco and the chopped thyme sprig.
2. Slice finely the shallot. Sauté them on medium heat in 2 tbsp of oil until soft or 3’. Add the bacon with the marinate and keep cooking on high heat until the marinate has not sort of caramelized and the bacon fully cooked (about 5’).
3. Add the tomato juice and keep cooking for 5’ more or until bubbling. Remove from the heat. Add two drops of tabasco and stir in the basil.
4. Boil the pasta in salted water for 2’ less than on the package. Finish to cook in the sauce on high heat with 2 tbsp of the pasta cooking water.
5. Serve with the remaining oil and the cheese on top.

Suggested wine
: perfect with a light red wine for the tabasco to come out and a lambrusco to couple with the Sopraffino. My suggestion, then, is a Lambrusco possibly Salamino di Santa Croce.

Cheers,

Francesco
Ciao,
Francesco

Visit my site at http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Pasta alla matriciana ... revisited

by Jenise » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Francesco, I'm familiar with Amatriciana, but not Matriciana. I presume the Tabasco is your biggest departure from tradition, but what else about your dish would be different from the classic version?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Belgium

by FrancescoP » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:29 pm

The balsamic vinegar, the thyme, no pecorino, tomato juice, marinating the guanciale ..... and tabasco :D
For the purist also the shallot is not in the original.

Amatriciana is with plum tomatoes, guanciale, pecorino, chilli and onion.
Matriciana is with only pecorino, guangiale, pepe. The latter is the ancient version before tomatoes were brought to Italy.

Francesco
Ciao,
Francesco

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks for that info, Francesco. For some of us, it's easy to forget that Italian cuisine existed prior to the arrival of the tomato.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:05 am

FrancescoP wrote:TMatriciana is with only pecorino, guangiale, pepe. The latter is the ancient version before tomatoes were brought to Italy.

Francesco

What is "pepe", in English, in this context?

Plants of the genus Capsicum are also from the New World, introduced at the same time as tomatoes . . . .

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Belgium

by FrancescoP » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:41 am

Gosh! I had too much wine in me when I wrote that and forgot pepe is italian .... I meant black pepper!!

Francesco
Ciao,
Francesco