Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

BBQ ribs help

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

BBQ ribs help

by Maria Samms » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:30 pm

Ok,

I can never get these right! Please someone help me!

I am talking about pork ribs...and they always come out way too dry. I have tried to parboil them in beer then grill them with BBQ...I have tried slow roasting them in an oven with no success. Anyone have any hits or suggestions to make some good ribs? I don't have a charcoil grill...only gas. (And no Bob, I am not buying a Kamado!...LOL!)
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: BBQ ribs help

by John Tomasso » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:06 pm

Don't parboil them! Please.

There's countless ways to prepare ribs, and every cook has a different method.

Are they baby backs or spare ribs?

One way I have found to avoid drying out the ribs is to use heavy duty foil. First, I rub the ribs with my rub of choice. Then I place the racks face to face, and wrap them tightly in the foil. I throw those on the grill, over indirect heat, for about an hour or so. Then I tear off the foil and check for doneness. If they're almost there, I move them to direct heat to finish them off. If not, I continue cooking them over indirect heat for a while longer, and then proceed to direct heat.

Of course, my method is sacrilege to true bbq afficionados, who would advocate nothing other than low, low temperature smoking for a long time.

While the method I describe above isn't the best I can do, I find the results satisfactory for the amount of effort expended.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:14 am

Can't help with baby back ribs because we just smoke 'em, and you don got no smoker.

With spare ribs bake (individually) on rack in foiled jelly roll pan in 350 degree F oven for 1.5 hours turning once. Season with salt, pepper, and dry rub before and during.

Transfer to your gas grill and briefly slosh them with sauce and turn till sauce sticks to ribs (no more than 10 or 15 minutes).
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:07 am

Last May I made ribs for my son's homecoming picnic from Iraq and for NiagaraCOOL '06 in June. I used Chef Carey's Dry Bub and BBQ Sauce. I highly recommend both of them them. Here is a link:
BBQ Ribs
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:14 am

Hi Maria,
I never had luck with ribs until I found this recipe/method. It works quite well, and rivals what I've had in restaurants.

Dry Rubbed Baby Back Ribs With Molasses Barbecue Sauce

SERVES 4
You might not be aware of the different methods for grilling pork ribs. I grew up with saucy ribs, precooked in water until tender, then grilled and basted with any of a variety of barbecue sauces. Then there is the dry rub, where a variety of herbs and spices are rubbed onto the meat, then it is slow cooked over indirect grill heat until tender. Another method is a combination of the two, where the ribs are rubbed, grilled, and then basted with a sauce for the final 30 minutes or so. That's the method I decided to use in this recipe, and the result is the best ribs I have ever tasted. The whole family agrees. Feel free to alter the rub spices to taste. If you like hotter foods, add more black pepper and or cayenne.

INGREDIENTS

For the Dry Rub (4 pounds pork baby back or spare ribs)
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Half-batch (2 pounds pork baby back or spare ribs)

½ tablespoon paprika
½ tablespoon ground cumin
½ tablespoon salt
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoons black pepper
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried oregano

For the Barbecue Sauce
1 tablespoon butter or oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1 cup ketchup
6 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
Salt and pepper to taste

Remove excess fat from ribs, but not all of it. If desired, cut each rack in half. Mix together the ingredients for the dry rub. Rub or pat the spices all over both sides of the meat. Place in a large shallow baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir about 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let cool before using.

Heat the grill and prepare it for indirect cooking. (See notes below.) Grill the ribs over medium indirect heat, covered, and cook until done and tender, turning every 15 minutes. This will take from 1 to 2 hours, depending on thickness and grill. (Lean baby back ribs will dry out if overcooked, so be careful.) When done, place over direct heat. Brush each side with barbecue sauce. Continue to cook until browned, basting and turning often, for 15 to 30 minutes. Don't walk away, because there might be flare-ups. Cut into serving sizes and enjoy.

Grilling notes: If you have a gas grill with multiple burners, you probably already know how to grill over indirect heat. Just use one burner on medium and place the ribs over the other burners. In a charcoal grill, place the coals to one side and the ribs over the other. If you can not place the ribs on an indirect source, or the grill does not have a cover, the ribs can be baked in a slow oven until tender, then transferred to the grill for the final cooking.

Other notes: If you do alter the spices in the rub, just make sure you have a total of 5-6 tablespoons in order to cover the meat on both sides.

My Notes: I used only the rub portion of this recipe, and Jack Daniels (original) BBQ sauce and set the back burner to medium. I usually cook mine 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:00 pm

That looks Good! Saved....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Maria, I have great success with the oven method, usually baking dry rubbed full baby back racks for about 2 hours at 275, then grilling them off with sauce outdoors. I don't think they're dry at all. But here's a super moist and tender "indoor" recipe (I tried it) that O. W. Holmes posted on FLDG Classic awhile back that you just might find appealing. And p.s., Dr. Pepper works just as well.

Topic: RC: Jacque's Baby Back Ribs
Author: O.W.Holmes
Date: Fri Nov 10 11:14:02 2000

Now that outdoor barbeque season is over, at least for us northerners, let me share a recipe for the worlds best indoor ribs. I have never met a person who has tried this recipe who has rated it less than No.1

Lay ribs in deep oven pan, sprinkle with Lowrey''s, smother with sweet onion, and cover with coca-cola. It''s OK if a little ribs stick out of the coke, but most of the ribs should be covered. Cover pan with aluminum foil and seal as best you can.

Cook in 275-300 oven for 4+ hours. Remove from oven, drain coke (and fat with it) smother with favorite Barbeque Sauce (Sweet Baby Ray''s original works really well here) and put back in 375 oven for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes - or until BBQ sauce sets up.

TRY to remove from pan without breaking the slabs.

Wine Suggestions: Any medium framed fruity red wine. Zinfandel (US or Italian Primitivo), Chataneuf du Pape, Ausie Shiraz or Shiraz blends with Grenache or Cabernet (fruit forward style). Our favorites are Rabbit Ridge barrel cuvee, A Mano Primitivo, Guigal CdP, Rosemount Shiraz/Cabernet. Complex wines are wasted here.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:25 pm

A number of ways ways or steps to solve problem. 1)Marinade that is sucked into meat. 2) Cooking using low heat and high humidity. 3) Wrap done ribs directly from oven with foil and place into styrofoam cooler for 10-15 minutes before serving. This also loosen the meat from the bone.

Here is a possible process:

Take 3 quarts water 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup kosher salt. Once dissolved place meat in this sloution for 2 hours. Any more won't help and any less won't do ther job as well. Source "Cook's"

Then since I prefer a dry rub on the ribs, I rub and seal them in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator and turn one or twice over a 24 hour period.

If you have a smoker, smoke them for an hour or two over low heat. the place in 300 degree oven on cookie sheet, with foil laying over them for for a couple hours. On a lower rack place a pan with hot water. Finish with a few minutes under the broiler to crisp up surface if necessary.
If you don't have a smoker a few minutes on a charcoal grill covered could be done.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:41 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Ok,

I can never get these right! Please someone help me!

I am talking about pork ribs...and they always come out way too dry. I have tried to parboil them in beer then grill them with BBQ...I have tried slow roasting them in an oven with no success. Anyone have any hits or suggestions to make some good ribs? I don't have a charcoil grill...only gas. (And no Bob, I am not buying a Kamado!...LOL!)

I would have jumped in here, but I consider charcoal essential to make ribs and would have been of no help whatsoever.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:50 pm

Thank you all so much for all the tips! I will be sure to try several of the methods and report back to you.

Chef - No worries...ITA. We are hopefully having our backyard redone and putting a patio on it...once that happens I would consider a nice charcoal grill. Right now, our gas grill is on our deck and I really didn't want to put the charcoal grill on it.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:30 pm

(And no Bob, I am not buying a Kamado!...LOL!)

Maria, if you refuse to buy the best Kooker on the market, then here is the answer to your problem. And in a word or three it is indirect heat. I am going to make an assumption that you are cooking over charcoal? if so, fire up the charcoal, and when there is a covering of ash, set half of the coals to one side, and half to the other. Your ribs go in between the coals, and if room allows try to put a pan of water right beside them to provide some moisture in the cooking chamber. If the water runs out, replenish. Slow cooking is the best, but if you cant then a moist environment is necessary. As someone said,...do NOT parboil ribs. Country style ribs may be parboiled, but they are NOT ribs, they are strips cut from the shoulder. I plan on doing some St Louis style trimmed spares in the next few days, maybe Wednesday and I will cook them for about 6-7 hours on my Kamado at 225-250 degrees over hardwood lump charcoal, with a chunk or two of hickory. You are invited.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:44 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Right now, our gas grill is on our deck and I really didn't want to put the charcoal grill on it.

There are very inexpensive fireproof mats available from many sources to put under grills, smokers, etc that are used on decks. We got ours from Home Depot.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:05 pm

I've made this recipe so many times. It is wonderful and got great reviews on Bon Appetit.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recip ... views/5461
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:00 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Maria, if you refuse to buy the best Kooker on the market, then here is the answer to your problem.

Just kidding Bob...I would LOVE a Kamado!!

No, I am not cooking on charcoal (yet!). I've been doing them either on my gas grill or the stove.

Carl - I never knew they made those! I will have to go to Home Depot and take a look...thanks!

Karen - That recipe looks wonderful...I will certainly try it!
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:42 pm

A couple of comments, some based on experience others based on sources such as Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ, Cooks Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue, and Cooks Illustrated Summer 2006 issue.

1. Cook ribs at low temp, long time. That means indirect heat....even if you want to glaze the ribs with sauce at the end. I would never put ribs over direct flame, ever. Glazing can be done via indirect heat.

2. Make sure your thermometer is correct. I have experience with a thermometer reading 100 degrees less than reality. Doublecheck yours. I did mine using a good digital thermo with probe and cable attachment. Put the probe through a raw potato, put the potato/probe in the cooking chamber, ran the cable out through a rotisserie hole in the side and connected to the base unit. Monitored that temp vs. the grill hood thermometer.

3. Don't trim too much, or any, fat. Its okay to remove the membrane from the bone side of the ribs, in fact BBQ pros view removal as essential. But the fat acts as a moisturizer during cooking. If you do low and slow, it will melt away and baste the ribs.

4. No parboiling. Not only do you lose pork flavor, you melt away the fat needed to keep the meat moist.

5. Cooks Illustrated states that moist ribs can be attained by wrapping the cooked ribs in aluminum foil right off the grill. Keep in the foil for an hour. During cooking, juices are drawn to the surface of the meat. This delay allows the juices to redistribute through the meat.

6. If your gas grill has more than one burner (mine has three) you can set it up to smoke. That Summer 2006 issue has all the details. Basically, you soak wood chips and put them in a tray or in a foil pouch over the primary burner. The ribs go over other burners which are not turned on during cooking. If you want all the details, send me a PM with your email addy.

7. Consider using a mustard-based slather in addition to a dry rub. I do that with my ribs. The slather is a mixture of mustard and spices that is painted on the ribs before sprinkling the dry rub over it.

8. Whatever rub you use, after 2 hours of cooking it should be set. At that time you can baste the ribs with apple juice or similar.

9. As mentioned elsewhere, brine the ribs for an hour or so. The water adds moisture to the ribs. The salt acts as a surfactant, drawing spices and other ingredients into the meat. Also, a tray of water or apple juice in the cooking chamber can help.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:22 pm

Mike, it is apparent from your post, that you could easily become a Kamado Kooker, you already have the expertise. when that metal monster you are cooking on now burns out (or even before) you need to take the plunge. :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:28 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Mike, it is apparent from your post, that you could easily become a Kamado Kooker, you already have the expertise. when that metal monster you are cooking on now burns out (or even before) you need to take the plunge. :)

And I am pretty sure you'd get a discount if you ordered 2 at a time, so I'll PM you my shipping address right before you order! Cobalt blue, please! :lol:
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:23 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:Mike, it is apparent from your post, that you could easily become a Kamado Kooker, you already have the expertise. when that metal monster you are cooking on now burns out (or even before) you need to take the plunge. :)

And I am pretty sure you'd get a discount if you ordered 2 at a time, so I'll PM you my shipping address right before you order! Cobalt blue, please! :lol:

Address not needed, I'll find that easy enough. :wink: Just PM your credit card number. Soon. Today. In the next 5 minutes.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:15 am

THanks Mike for all that info!! That helps a lot! I can't wait to make some ribs now. I will pm you my E-mail to get the smoker info...my gas grill has 5 burners.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:55 pm

Low and Slow 'til you can tear one rib away from another.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Actually, what I need is to get offspring number 2 through college, then I will be able to afford a Kamado! That's why I rebuilt the metal monster last Memorial Day weekend.
Last edited by MikeH on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:47 pm

I would add one more point about smoking. Most every article I have read says avoid mesquite for smoking. BBQ food that is exposed to mesquite smoke for an extended period tends to pick up a bitter taste. Mesquite is fine for grilling where meat is cooked quickly and the wood burns hot. For smoking, use hickory, apple, maple, cherry, etc. But no mesquite.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:28 pm

Have had absolutely no problems smoking with mesquite. And we do use lots of other woods.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:36 pm

MikeH wrote:I would add one more point about smoking. Most every article I have read says avoid mesquite for smoking. BBQ food that is exposed to mesquite smoke for an extended period tends to pick up a bitter taste. Mesquite is fine for grilling where meat is cooked quickly and the wood burns hot. For smoking, use hickory, apple, maple, cherry, etc. But no mesquite.
Actually, that bitter taste can be imparted by any wood. It is the flavor laid down by the pith, which is the result of any residual moisture in the sap that lives between the bark and the wood core. You can usually avoid this slight imperfection by doing several things:
-- make certain you are using wood that is cured (i.e. dried for 6 mos to a year, depending on size of the limb)
-- if the wood has bark on it, set it on coals or burn at least 5 minutes before putting your meat over it (allowing time for the bark and the sap to burn off)
-- lay down your smoking agent either at the beginning or end of your smoking time for 30 to 45 minutes only. You will get the flavor and regulate the intensity as you desire, depending on how long you allow it to smoke.
-- Flavor intensity is also determined by the type of wood you use.

Different woods are better suited for different meats. Decide which woods you like best and then determine the level of intensity you prefer. This is largely a process of trial and determination. Personally, with pork I find the more fragrant hard woods are more pleasing to my palate: oak, hickory, pecan. For fish: mesquite and alder. For poultry: fruit woods like cherry, apple, peach, pear. For beef: butchered up oak barrels used in wine making (a special treat), or grape vines. But, I do mix it up, depending on what I am going for in the final product, and the sauces I will pair with the meat. All of this advice is good, but in the end, you will need to decide for yourself what works and taste good to you! Good luck.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
Next