Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of the Joneses....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Speaking of the Joneses....

by Jenise » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:27 pm

,,,,everybody who loves food gets one from time to time. A jones for something that isn't satisfied in one go, but which takes days or weeks to work out of your system.

I have two at the moment. One is grapefruit. I simply must eat a grapefruit every morning or my day isn't complete. A whole one, sliced in half and denuded with a grapefruit spoon into another bowl from which I finally dine. White is best, but truthfully any color grapefruit will do. The other is Wasa multi-grain crispbread, lightly buttered or topped with a modest slice of stinky cheese. We had it on the plane going to Denmark, and there was a near riot when they ran out. This new version of Wasa is thicker (but not heavier, there are more holes), much crispier and less cardboardy than the original Wasa, and it's full of toasty grain flavor. It has totally replaced the Wasa Fiber Rye in my affections.

What are you jonesing for?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Speaking of the Joneses....

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Jenise, I am right there with you on the grapefruit! Grapefruit was contraindicated for a med I was taking for quite a while and I was always reaching for one and then remembering.

Now that I am off that medication I have been eating grapefruit like they will never grow any more! :)

The other thing I have been eating constantly lately is spinach. Especially sauteed with garlic and squirted with lemon juice.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:48 pm

Did I miss something or are these the same Joneses you have to keep up with?
I've never seen a white grapefruit. Have you tried it mixed with cubes of watermelon for a juicy morning treat?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:51 pm

A jones is an American coloquialism for a strong craving. Usually it's for some kind of food such as Jenise having a jones for grapefruits. I hope that helps Sue. It's the elementary school teacher in me.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Did I miss something or are these the same Joneses you have to keep up with?
I've never seen a white grapefruit. Have you tried it mixed with cubes of watermelon for a juicy morning treat?

James nailed it, Sue. About your other question, 'white grapefruit' refers to grapefruit that has yellow skin and white flesh. White being white like a pale white wine is white. Do you not have white grapefruit in NZ? I know you grow fabulous citrus there, the best mandarin/tangelo kind of thing I've ever had in my life, I bought at a fruit stand near Hawkes Bay.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:00 pm

James Roscoe wrote:A jones is an American coloquialism for a strong craving. Usually it's for some kind of food such as Jenise having a jones for grapefruits. I hope that helps Sue. It's the elementary school teacher in me.

A jones is actually drug culture slang for an addiction--something that the addict has to keep up with, you see. But it's passed into general colloquial use.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:03 pm

James Roscoe wrote:A jones is an American coloquialism for a strong craving.

Ah ha! I am jonesing (can it be used as a verb?) for stilton at the moment. And lightly roasted pine kernels.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:11 pm

Jenise wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:Did I miss something or are these the same Joneses you have to keep up with?

James nailed it, Sue. About your other question, 'white grapefruit' refers to grapefruit that has yellow skin and white flesh. White being white like a pale white wine is white. Do you not have white grapefruit in NZ? I know you grow fabulous citrus there, the best mandarin/tangelo kind of thing I've ever had in my life, I bought at a fruit stand near Hawkes Bay.

Dunno if we have white grapefruit. Is the flesh like the colour of a lemon?
I think I've seen grapefruit in stores, but from memory they have a skin a bit darker than a lemon and it looks thin and shiny. They could even be imported from the USA.
But I don't buy them as we have our own tree. The fruit has thick yellow orange skin and yellow orange flesh. It's a sweet grapefruit, if you can call grapefruit sweet. I love them.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:A jones is an American coloquialism for a strong craving. Usually it's for some kind of food such as Jenise having a jones for grapefruits. I hope that helps Sue. It's the elementary school teacher in me.

A jones is actually drug culture slang for an addiction--something that the addict has to keep up with, you see. But it's passed into general colloquial use.

-Paul W.

Paul, I forgot that was where it came from. I was a tad young for the 60's drug culture and by the 70's it had pretty much come into general use.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:50 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Ah ha! I am jonesing (can it be used as a verb?)

Of course, Otto! I am jonesin' for pizza. Again. Or is that still? :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:03 pm

Sue,

Sue, I'd say the white grapefruit flesh is similar to lemons, yes. Maybe just one shade lighter.

Yellow orange skin on yours? Here, the redder grapefruits usually get red blushes on the deeper yellow skin such that you can easily eyeball that it's not a white-fleshed grapefruit, but often the white, pink or 'golden' grapefruits are hard to tell apart from skin alone. Not impossible--an expert can usually guess right--but someone who doesn't pay attention to details wouldn't be able to tell them apart. A white grapefruit would usually be about the color of a lemon, but a little softer, definitely not darker.