Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What interesting cheeses have you come across recently?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

What interesting cheeses have you come across recently?

by Saina » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:04 pm

Kuttu-Ville is a Finnish, 4 month aged goat's cheese. It isn't very strong, yet it is creamy and correctly salty.

Fermier Cavet Feuille is a very soft goat's cheese that has a striking resemblance Colgate toothpaste!!! It's interesting for sure, but I'm not sure I like it.

Ovelha Amanteigado is a Portuguese sheep's cheese and smells like my running shoes - always a promising sign! ;) It is strong and has a lovely twang to the aftertaste and a creamy texture.

Beira Baixa is another soft Portuguese cheese with a very salty and tangy, herbal aftertaste. I love it, but haven't found out anything about it.

What good cheeses have come your way recently?
Last edited by Saina on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Recent cheese highlights

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:59 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Fermier Cavet Feuille is a very soft goat's cheese that has a striking resemblance Colgate toothpaste!!!

Similar in texture, taste, or (Heaven forfend).... both?
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:58 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Similar in texture, taste, or (Heaven forfend).... both?

Similar in taste and aromatics - if it were a bit softer, also in texture! :shock:

But on the better side of things, it is also very sharp and acidic. I would really like it very much, if I could just dissociate it from toothpaste.

Has no one else had any good cheeses recently? I guess I must change the title to get some activity...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:30 pm

I had a lovely goat cheese a few weeks ago, Otto, from Touraine (in the Loire Valley). Never have seen a Touraine cheese here. It was log shaped, not quite 2" in diameter and about 7" long, and so soft on the outer half inch perimiter that it was difficult to remove from the little wooden box it came in. But by contrast, it was surprisingly firm in the middle, and what's more it had something I've never seen before--a long thin wooden pick piercing the center core. Considering the softness and the length, a nice bit of engineering or it would never be removed whole. It was dusted with ash, sharp in flavor and supremely tangy--an excellent Sauv Blanc cheese. I'd buy again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:20 pm

Jenise wrote:I had a lovely goat cheese a few weeks ago, Otto, from Touraine (in the Loire Valley). Never have seen a Touraine cheese here. It was log shaped, not quite 2" in diameter and about 7" long, and so soft on the outer half inch perimiter that it was difficult to remove from the little wooden box it came in. But by contrast, it was surprisingly firm in the middle, and what's more it had something I've never seen before--a long thin wooden pick piercing the center core. Considering the softness and the length, a nice bit of engineering or it would never be removed whole. It was dusted with ash, sharp in flavor and supremely tangy--an excellent Sauv Blanc cheese. I'd buy again.

Sounds like St.-Maure.