Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's your favorite food magazine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Re: What's your favorite food magazine?

by John F » Thu May 03, 2007 3:29 am

Jenise

You would really like Fine Cooking - I'm with you on the assessment of the others - love Saveur and Cooks Illustrated but think I like Fine Cooking best of all these days
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu May 03, 2007 9:58 am

thanks marc for seconding the reco. the art of eating really gets overlooked. i have all the back issues for at least 10 years. i found paris addresses like pierre herme and giles verot in there and will alwys be grateful. the article on terroir for vegetables several years ago was amazing. i agree about the jura article as well. there is a book from a decade or so ago with some collected articles as well.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Thu May 03, 2007 4:29 pm

I have to throw my vote in for Fine Cooking. The recipes are great, the explanations really teach me, and it's not filled with fluff or overstuffed with useless overkill. The editing is great, as it seems to have just the right amount of information and doesn't swamp you with millions of worthless ideas. Every issue seems to be filled with great ideas for everyday cooking (and improvements and explanations to make it better), a feature for a style or ingredient (which makes us try new things), and something a bit more ambitious for those special meals.

Fine Cooking was the first magazine that my wife and I really use and save. It's a magazine for people who like to cook and aren't afraid to try something new or learn new technique, and it isn't aimed at people who like to throw a can of this and a can of that in a pot and call it dinner (unlike some mags, it seems). We were given multiple subscriptions to other magazines by our family (such as Cooking Light, Taste of Home, etc) and found them failing in several regards. First, there is just SO much crap in there...where do you start. They really weren't any better than any other basic information we could find on the internet. too bland for our tastes.

We also like CI, but came to that after Fine Cooking...Like it, but it doesn't hold a candle to Fine Cooking with regard to presentation, pictures, features, etc, IMHO. The recipes and learning aspects are fine and we enjoy that, especially when they explain technique or reasons for certain methods.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu May 03, 2007 10:27 pm

I still like CI...that's the kind of obsessive writing about food, although point taken about them running out of stuff to write about...

As a writer? I have two Saveur clips. I want more, although that may be kind of masochistic.

Now, as an editor: Florida Table...It aspires to greatness

b
Previous