Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let's talk about barley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Let's talk about barley

by Jenise » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:17 pm

Just about everybody makes some kind of barley soup. Beef n' Barley is pretty standard, and Scotch Broth is one of the best things to happen to a leftover leg of lamb bone.

But what other uses do you have for barley? I make a risotto type side dish on occasion with lots of green onions, a Mario Batali idea IIRC (and that's a RARE occasion, I know I haven't made one in the three years I've lived in this house), but that's it.

What am I missing? What do others do with barley? Is it, possibly, a good base for a cold salad?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Let's talk about barley

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:39 pm

You nailed it- it's great in cold salads with fine-chopped leaves (e.g, tabbouli sort of things).

Barley and mushroom soup is an Eastern European classic.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:56 pm

Love barley, malted, as in single malt Scotch. Is that what you mean?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:07 pm

Sounds good, Stuart. I've got ripe avocados and lots of chives on hand--Those might be a good start.

And Bucko, you're incorrigible.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:53 pm

No, I think he is encourage-able! But I have to agree about the single malt.

Jenise, I have a couple great recipes for cold salads with barley. I'll see if I can locate them tonight while I am looking for all my other grain recipes!
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:38 pm

Makes a nice texture and nutty flavor when added to bread.
Howard
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:37 pm

I love barley and buy what is called "plump barley" at a local grain mill. It is bigger and really plumps up. I cook it in chicken stock, let it cool and toss it with fresh garden toms, feta, garden cukes, red bell peppers, chopped parsley, garlic, green onions, and a lemon vinaigrette. So yummy!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Please don't remind me- last weekend, my hosts in England pulled out some 15 year old Glenmorangie and, before we knew it, it was 4am and...Image
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:26 pm

Man, you're too hard core for me. I'll go lay on the porch and let the big dogs run...
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:27 pm

Larry Greeley, I think, posted a refreshing recipe for Barley Water on FLDG. We really enjoy this drink, and it was warm enough today to make a bottle.

Barley Water

5 cups water
3 Tbs pearl barley
1/4 cup lemon juice
sugar to taste

Simmer barley 10 min in water, strain and discard barley. Add water to bring back to 5 cups. Add lemon juice. Add sugar to taste. Cool in refrigerator. Serve in a glass with lots of ice, garnished with lemon slice. Mighty tasty!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:58 pm

As posted in the grains thread, I think barley makes a wonderful winter soup with lots of beef and mushrooms. Until I saw Stuart's comment, though, it never occurred to me that it's an eastern European combination.

That barley risotto - a.k.a. orzotto - is big in Friuli-Venezia Giulia, where barley is grown. And - although I know you don't approve of mixing grains - a half-and-half mix of orzotto and risotto can be great, just remember to start it with orzo about 15 minutes before you introduce the rice, so they'll all come out together.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:04 am

Bob Ross wrote:Larry Greeley, I think, posted a refreshing recipe for Barley Water on FLDG. We really enjoy this drink, and it was warm enough today to make a bottle.

I don't think I'm related to Horace ("Go west, young man"), but I've sprouted barley, roasted it, ground it and used it in bread baking.

The barley water really is good; glad you enjoy it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:32 am

Robin said:
although I know you don't approve of mixing grains - a half-and-half mix of orzotto and risotto can be great, just remember to start it with orzo about 15 minutes before you introduce the rice, so they'll all come out together.

Oh, I must have not made myself clear if you addressed that to me, Robin. It's not that I don't approve, it's just that I don't do it--I've been a purist in the past, but only inadvertently. Never was my intention.

But hey, last night we had a barley salad for dinner, and I tracked the cooking time so I could consider a barley mix of some kind later in the month and agree with your reccomended cooking times, maybe 20. I found the barley hit the right chewy-but-cooked texture for me in about 45 minutes.

Anyway, but forget about that: the salad! I LOVED IT. If I learn nothing else this month, I'm already in the black.

What I did was cook about 10 ounces of barley in plain salted water. When it was cooked, I let it cool in a large wooden bowl, then set about adding things one at a time, tasting along the way. First in was a 2:1 vinaigrette of extra light olive oil, mild white wine vinegar, and salt. That was good. Next was a small handfull of three green onions, thinly sliced. That was, to be honest, perfect. Right there. It needed nothing but onions to be delicious. I could have eaten a bowl on the spot. The mint and tomato weren't needed. So all I added after that was entire hass avocado, diced, and a handful of the green buds stripped from a white spider kale that was going to seed and ready to be pulled from the garden. It made enough for two generous main course portions, and on the side I served Wasa multi-grain cracker bread and a slice of jelly-roll shaped soft cows milk cheese rolled with green herbs. A bottle of Arcadian pinot noir from California completed the meal, and I was in vegetarian heaven.

My only complaint is there isn't any left over for breakfast! :oops:

Karen--a big bud type? How fortunate for you, being able to get it from a local mill.

Bob Ross--barley water. Okay, help me understand: esssentially you've made lemonade, but with water that had some barley cooked in it. Why is that better than lemonade alone?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:10 pm

Jenise, I've forgotten why Larry liked the barley water, but there were two pluses for us: the mouth feel was smoother than regular lemonade, less sharp but still refreshing, and the taste had a pretty nutty flavor -- a muted lemonade, but with more complexity and interest.

I like lemonade, especially that burst of lemon and cold on a hot day, but find that it becomes one dimensional after a couple of sips -- either too much lemon or too much sugar.

BTW, the New York Times had a great article about the virtues of barley; I'm not sure how much of this you already covered, Jenise, and also not sure if the article requires payment. The link to the June 2006 article is here.

Some of the key points in the piece by Marian Burros:

CHEFS have played with purple rice, red rice and black rice, with farro and quinoa and almost every imaginable grain. But barley, one of the oldest cultivated grains, languishes in wintry soups and dense breads and porridge. When I asked five chefs for recipes with barley, only two had something to share.

Besides having a wonderful texture and delightful nutty taste, barley also has proven health benefits. The federal government said last month that barley can reduce cholesterol levels, just like oats.

Unlike oats, though, it can be mixed into savory dishes with tomatoes, corn, mushrooms and fresh herbs, and brightened with peppery olive oil and assorted vinegars.

A barley salad with corn, tomatoes and arugula makes an ideal side dish or a light supper for a hot night. Barley turns into an amazingly creamy risotto, redolent of porcini. And a recipe from Peter Hoffman of the restaurant Savoy in SoHo inspired an intriguing yogurt soup.

Contrary to culinary lore, barley does not have to take a long time to cook. Soaking it for four hours, or overnight, reduces the cooking time to 20 minutes from 40 minutes.

The new health claims for barley, like those for oats, are substantial and are based on ''significant scientific evidence,'' according to the Food and Drug Administration. These differ from recent qualified health claims the Food and Drug Administration allowed for walnuts, which are based on ''supportive but not conclusive research.''

The government now permits the use of the following sentence on barley products: ''Scientific evidence indicates that including barley in a healthy diet can help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease'' by lowering bad cholesterol (low-density lipoproteins) and total cholesterol levels.

To get any benefit you must eat at least three grams of barley's soluble fiber a day, and the benefit increases when you eat up to nine grams, said Christine Fastnaught, a cereal scientist and consultant for the U.S. National Barley Foods Council in Fargo, N.D.

I like the yogurt and barley soup:

Chilled Yogurt and Barley Soup
Time: 30 minutes plus several hours' soaking

1/2 cup pearl barley
Salt
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, or as needed
1/3 cup raisins
White pepper
Red pepper flakes, optional
1 medium Kirby cucumber, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
Extra-virgin olive oil, optional.

1. In a small bowl, combine barley with 2 cups water. Allow to soak for several hours or overnight.

2. In a medium saucepan, add barley, its soaking water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until barley is tender, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium heat, sauté onion in olive oil until light golden. If necessary, drain excess water from barley. Add onions to barley and set aside.

3. Place eggs in a medium saucepan and whisk until smooth. Sprinkle flour over eggs and whisk until combined and free of lumps. In a mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt and 2 1/2 cups chicken broth. Pour into egg mixture and stir until smooth.

4. Add barley and onions to egg mixture. Stir in raisins. Place pan over medium heat just until steaming and slightly thickened; do not boil. Remove from heat and season with salt and white pepper to taste. If desired, add pepper flakes to taste while soup is still hot.

5. Allow soup to cool, then transfer to a covered container and refrigerate until well chilled and thickened. To serve, stir and adjust thickness of soup to taste with additional chicken broth. Add cucumber and mint. If desired, drizzle with olive oil before serving.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:28 pm

Bob, thanks for briefing that article (the link worked, btw, no pay required).

Interesting and useful information--like reducing the cooking time by pre-soaking. That means it can be made perfectly ready for risotto in real time by that method.

Also interesting historical data, that in the middle of the last century, Americans ate 7 lbs of barley each on an annual basis--now? Less than a pound. In fact, humans consumer only 2% of the crop produced here--the rest is largely animal feed. Wonder if the same is true in Europe?

Didn't realize, either, that pearl barley isn't the whole grain. I'm going to examine the barley selection next time I'm at the market, see if there are other forms of barley readily available. This is a pretty 'crunchy' area for health food, so I expect I'll find some.

Re the lemonade, that makes sense. After reading that article, I have to ask: are you always using pearl barley in that recipe?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:54 pm

How about a Thai barley stir fry?

Googling, I just found a website devoted to barley recipes. I think it's actual name is barleyfoods.org. There are a number of interesting recipes there, some of which mildly stretch credulity (barley stroganoff made with 2 cups of sour cream, anyone?) and some of which have intriguing conceptual merit, like the Thai barley stir-fry, especially as a vegetarian prep.

Anyway, here's a link: [url]http://www.barleyfoods.org/recipes/thai_barley.html[/url]
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:00 pm

Jenise, I didn't notice the word "pearl" in the recipe -- I had just dupped it from FLDG into my CIA recipe file.

I always buy hulled barley -- it comes in a number of different forms, and the hulled barley flour works fine in the barley water recipe. I suppose that increases the mouth feel that I mentioned. But other forms work just as well -- I make a couple of gallons at a time and bottle them up in one pint bottles for the basement fridge or wine cellar.

The barley industry website has some interesting information and recipes:

http://www.barleyfoods.org/

I've also supported the George Mateljan Foundation for a couple of years; they have some very interesting information on a number of healthy foods -- here's an example of the sort of thing the Foundation does on barley and its benefits.

Oops, I see you posted the barley industry link -- our posts crossed in the Internet. :)

Regards, Bob