Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Seder for vegetarians... Oh My!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Seder for vegetarians... Oh My!

by Bernard Roth » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:17 am

So my wife wants to have a seder and invite a couple over who are almost vegan - they do eat some dairy products, but no egg.

She also wants to invite another couple who are major carnivores.

I'm dah chef. Dah menu:

1. Spring vegetable soup. I start with homemade veggie stock. Saute onion, leek, fennel bulb, celery, carrot, garlic in EVOO, add tomato puree to intensify and slight caramelize. Then zucchini, yellow squash, chayote. Add stock and home canned San Marzanos. Simmer a short while and take off heat, add thyme, salt and pepper. Later, add chopped chard leaves and fresh oregano. Heat through to cook chard just before serving. Top each bowl with dollop of pureed basil in EVOO, Olio Nuovo, and Reggiano.

2. Rosti potatoes made with veggie-enzyme cheeses, topped with watercress. Thick asparagus finished in lemon butter. Wild rice with porcini cream sauce.

3. Farfel-stuffed yellow peppers with Spanish roasted tomato-almond sauce. This last dish traces its influience to some old sephardic heritage. Farfel stuffing includes butter-sauteed onion, celery, leek and mushroom, thyme, Jerez-Amontillado cooked off, add the farfel and mix in just enough veggie stock to lightly moisten the farfel. It will later cook. This is stuffed into yellow peppers and recapped.

The sauce starts with sauteed onion, garlic, celery, leek, in EVOO, saffron, marcona almonds, S&P, white wine, juice from the preserved San Marzanos, and smoky paprika. More tomatoes and garlic cloves go into the dutch oven, onto which is poured the mixture from the saute pan. The stuffed peppers are pushed into mixture and baked, partially covered in medium oven for ~75 minutes, essentially a braise that concentrates and slightly roasts the tomato mixture as the peppers soften and slightly darken.

The peppers are removed and the sauce is pureed in a blender with juice of one blood orange. This all was chilled overnight and reheated the next day - peppers in the microwave, sauce on stove top. This dish was real yummy and 100% vegan.

The carnivores were satisfied.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Seder for vegetarians... Oh My!

by Maria Samms » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:44 am

Very nice Bernard! I bet everyone just loved it. It is so difficult to satisfy different groups of people, but it sounds like you did a fabulous job.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:45 am

I would have sent them out back to munch on the grass......
:wink:
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:13 pm

John Tomasso wrote:I would have sent them out back to munch on the grass......

Hey, Robin, where's the emoticon for Flipping Bird?
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:55 pm

Nicely done. Loads of ideas for future use what with the vegetarian daughter and all. Thanks for posting
Howard
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:21 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:
John Tomasso wrote:I would have sent them out back to munch on the grass......

Hey, Robin, where's the emoticon for Flipping Bird?

Not to worry, Stuart. We'll return the favor to JT in August when the TriTip turns out to be a preformed blob of textured soy protein.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:22 pm

Wow, Bernard,

This goy carnivore certainly would have been satisfied. Yum!

-Paul W.