Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP/FoodLetter: Verdure

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP/FoodLetter: Verdure

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:52 pm

Verdure

After a couple of weeks leading the red-carpeted life of an international wine judge, something strange happened to me that I had never encountered in Italy before: Even here, in the land whose food and wine speak to my very soul, I realized that I was starting to leave meat, cheese and pasta on my plate.

No matter how much I may love Italian fare, two rich meals a day had me not merely loosening my belt but actually starting to say, "'tis enough, 'twill serve."

But no matter how satiated I became, I don't think I ever left my vegetables; and toward the end of my stay, when even the likes of spoon-tender veal or rosy baby lamb would tempt me to take only a ritual bite, I'd often make my meal on veggies ("verdure" in Italian) alone.

This is a rare thing for an obligate carnivore and dedicated cheese-lover like me, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and veggies are healthy. And vegetables Italian-style, never overcooked and usually doused with ripe, green olive oil for flavor, have a way of tickling even the most jaded taste buds.

I haven't been back long enough to experiment in the kitchen, so today I'd like to break from my usual practice of presenting a recipe that I've made at least once or twice, talking instead in more general terms about how I plan to make two classic, simple Italian vegetable dishes, <b>Giardiniera</b> and <b>grilled vegetables</b>. I invite your suggestions, and for the more adventurous, feel free to experiment along with me - I don't see how either of these can go far wrong - with the understanding that these recipes haven't been tested.

<b>Giardiniera</b> ("Jar-din-yare-ah"), or pickled vegetables, is a familiar Italian-American dish that's almost invariably purchased in commercially packaged jars at Italian delis. In that form, it consists of bite-size mixed veggies - usually including carrots, cauliflower, mild and hot peppers among other things - in a sweet-sour sugar-and-vinegar brine. It's okay as one element in a traditional antipasto plate, but has really never been a favorite for me because even the quality brands hit me with a canned, manufactured taste. But in the Veneto in the springtime, freshly made giardiniera - gently pickled and served crisp-tender after only a day or two in brine - is a whole 'nuther story, and one I want to replicate very soon.

My plan is simple: I'll cut carrots and celery into julienne strips and trim a head of cauliflower into tiny florets not much larger than chickpeas. I might add some julienned red bell pepper, a few thin green beans cut into 1-inch lengths, and maybe some tiny peeled Italian cippolini onions. I'll blanch all these prepped veggies briefly in simmering water, then cover them with white vinegar sweetened with a small amount of sugar. A couple of dried red chile peppers to give it a piquant edge, maybe a bay leaf, a few garlic cloves, black peppercorns and salt to taste. Bring it all to a boil, reduce heat, allow it to cool, and then store it in the refrigerator overnight. To serve, lift the veggies out of their brine with a slotted spoon and dress with olive oil.

I think this will come close to the fresh giardinieras I enjoyed in Verona, and that was a far cry from the bottled commercial product.

Perhaps because spring was in full flower in the Veneto and Lombardy at the end of March, another commonplace dish was <b>grilled vegetables</b>, a simple, seductive dish that almost invariably included the same cast of characters: Zucchini and small, thin Italian eggplants cut lengthwise into ribbon-like strips, skin on; red, green and yellow bell peppers, and wedges of bitter red raddicchio, painted with olive oil, grilled over coals until tender and gently smoky, then dressed with more rich, fruity green olive oil, salt and pepper.

Recipe? That was it! Just one serious procedure tip: Don't start counting calories when it's time to drizzle on the olive oil. You're eating healthy food here, and olive oil is perhaps the healthiest of oils. The sacrifice in flavor that would result from holding back the olive oil simply isn't worth it.

I'll be trying both these recipes soon and will report the results. If you experiment with them - or better yet, have old family recipes that you use regularly - I hope you'll take a moment to share your suggestions and tips on the forum.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: RCP/FoodLetter: Verdure

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:43 pm

Thanks, Robin. The grilled vegetables procedure goes to the top of my list of things to try when I fire up the outdoor grill for the spring. Unfortunately, we've got a snowstorm going on right now here in New Hampshire. :(

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mark Donaldson

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:56 pm

Toronto, Canada

Re: RCP/FoodLetter: Verdure

by Mark Donaldson » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:31 am

Robin,

Try this:

Wash and soak broccoli in cool water for 1/2 hour, cut about 2-3 cm off of the stockend and cut the head leangthwise keeping a few florets on each piece.

Mix together 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp dry white unoaked wine, juice from half a lemon, tsp lemon zest, 2 cloves of garlic - chopped and a pinch of chili flakes (adjust to taste).

Put everything in a ziplock baggie and give it a good shake. Marinade broccoli for at least half an hour.

Over a medium high heat, grill the broccoli until just cooked through and florets are a bit charred.

Serve on a platter sprinkled with Romano, Pecorino, or Parmesan cheese.

Dress it up even more with toasted breadcrums and pine nuts.

A cold glass of Vernacchia di San Gimingnano would be a good match.

Mark in Toronto
Go Slow!
Mark in T.O.