Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Gas Grill Advice?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

Re: Gas Grill Advice?

by MikeH » Sat May 06, 2006 10:00 am

BTW, the latest Food & Wine has a large article about grills and grill recipes written by Steven Raichlen.

FWIW, Mr. Raichlen prefers not charcoal, not gas, but rather wood for grilling.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:07 pm

Niki (Dayton OH) wrote:So far we love it, Mike. Your Weber sounds like the one we just replaced :)

Just a delayed update here. Turns out Weber's web site doesn't have all the items they sell listed. Talked to their 24x7 hotline and found out I could buy replacement parts for the cookbox, bottom tray rails, and bottom tray. So intead of $700 or so for a new grill, I spent about $150 and a few hours of my time. And the repairs required removing the guts of the grill, so the time involved was not too bad. Further, the new tray rails, which were the major problem, are stainless steel!!!

I actually managed to effect the repairs after grilling on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and we were grilling again on Sunday.

I guess a point here is that Weber sells replacements for just about every part of their grills, even older ones.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:37 am

Niki (Dayton OH) wrote:We're in the market for a new propane grill. Ideally, we'd like something that will sear steaks as well as our Blue Star cook top. We'd also like a rotissere. Oh, and a grill that is durable, dependable, and attractive. And cheap, too :wink:

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

A friend recently gave me a virtually new Kenmore Quantum grill (she wanted another one that could hook up to natural gas). I've used it a couple of times so far and it works just fine. It's also cheap (under $200). Google "Kenmore Quantum grill" and you'll see some pictures and reviews.
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Thanks, Larry, but we already bought an Amana gas grill. It was cheap ($350), works well, and looks a whole lot better than the old Char-Grill that was falling apart. Much more fire-power, too! (Fire Power Good, says gas grillmeister, aka Rob)
Cheers,

Niki
Previous