Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I'm doing a Rancho Gordo order and would like some ideas on chile peppers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

I'm doing a Rancho Gordo order and would like some ideas on chile peppers

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:26 pm

Other than ancho and pasilla dried peppers, and jalepeno I grow in my garden, plus pablanos, I don't know much about other types. Does anyone have experience with cascabel chiles? Or any other that Rancho Gordo offers?

Mainly, I use peppers in salsa, chicken, beef and pork dishes, and beans. I like heat but not the blow my head off heat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: I'm doing a Rancho Gordo order and would like some ideas on chile peppers

by Jenise » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:56 pm

Karen, Larry is our resident chilehead and can give you better advice than I, but I'll offer my minimal experience with them. I remember them as mild-med in heat, and they had a nice flavor that was very slightly smokey though not especially distinctive. What I liked about them was their size--want just a little chile flavor? Well, they're little chiles. But outside of that I didn't find them especially compelling addition to a pantry that always has super-smokey chipotles, mild ancho and pasilla chiles, and very hot red pepper flakes from Chongqing China on hand. Between the others, I can achieve just about any degree of chile-ness needed, and when I ran out of cascabels I never replaced them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: I'm doing a Rancho Gordo order and would like some ideas on chile peppers

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:17 pm

Thanks Jenise, that all makes good sense to me. The jalapeno peppers I grow produce so many that I always have red and green ones frozen in my freezer. They last me all winter until the next crop. The freezing does not seem to make them less hot, in fact, I wondered if they get hotter. The peppers are all fun to play with but I've been known to get recipes a bit too hot! :oops: