Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Italian chicken/basil/tomato/wine dish

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

RCP: Italian chicken/basil/tomato/wine dish

by Steven Noess » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:58 pm

I'm sure this is probably some classic, simple Italian dish that is widely known, but I got the following interpretation from watching a chef quickly make it one day in front of me at a lunch last summer.

I'm simply passing it along because it's incredibly easy and fast and makes for a simple weeknight meal for two. Since I replicated this from sight, the following measures are basically estimates and can all be adjusted to your individiual tastes. To me, the great taste of this dish belies its simplicity and ease of preparing. Hope you enjoy.

Ingredients:
-enough Pasta for 2 (I use spaghetti)
-boneless, skinless Chicken breast (1 lg or 2 sm-med)
-2 or 3 cloves garlic, chopped (more or less to suit your taste)
-fresh basil, chiffonaded (I end up with 1/2 to 1 C after chiffonade...use however much you want)
-Olive oil, about 1T+
-diced tomatoes (I use one ~14 oz. can Muir Glen organic diced since fresh tomatoes are usually not great around here, especially out of season)
-Dry white wine...some for cooking, some for drinkin' (I use Italian or NZ SB)
-salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Process:

1. Dump diced tomatoes in colander in sink, shake out excess juice and let drain until needed (if they are too moist, the dish will be very watery)

2. Prepare and Cook chicken. I pound them flat, grill or broil them w/ salt/pepper, and then slice them at a bias into small pieces just before adding them toward the end. Just ensure that you time it so that you're not waiting for the chicken toward the end. I usually have it cooked and resting just before adding the pasta in step 4 b/c otherwise it can get hectic. I then slice it quickly while the sauce is simmering after adding the wine in step 5 so it's ready.

3. Meanwhile, begin heating pasta water and in large saute pan, heat the olive oil over M-MH heat.

4. Add pasta and cook according to your preferred al dente time...after adding pasta to water, immediately start with next step...

5. When oil is hot, add garlic and saute briefly, ensuring that you do not scorch it...about 15 seconds. Add tomatoes and a little salt/pepper to taste. saute both to your liking, then add some wine to deglaze (1/4-1/2 cup should do...but I'm not really sure, as I just pour it in until it looks right). Drink some wine yourself...you've deserved it.

6. Simmer that down a bit until it's a nice amount/consistency of sauce... Add chicken. If you've timed it right, at this point you can drain pasta and add it immediately along with your basil...stir together, plate, and top w/ plenty of fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano.

7. Drink wine and eat.

serves 2-3.
Last edited by Steven Noess on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: RCP: Italian chicken/basil/tomato/wine dish

by Paul Winalski » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Another one to add to the list to try out. Thanks for posting this!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Italian chicken/basil/tomato/wine dish

by Jenise » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:01 am

Yum, Steven. I love basic, simple fresh sauces like this where everything is combined but all the pieces still have their vibrant individual flavors. Thanks for posting.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov