Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

McDonald's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

McDonald's

by Jenise » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:54 am

I have no use for McDonalds except in the morning when I'm starting off on a roadtrip, and a sausage muffin (no egg!) and a cup of coffee (theirs is actually better than most) will tide me over until lunch.

Like the day before yesterday. Leaving Portland, gonna be in Seattle in about three hours, want to lunch at Salumi (Mario Batali's dad's place), the coffee I had two hours before was wearing off, and one of those little muffin sandwiches would keep hunger at bay. So when I saw the golden arches in the distance I turned to Anne, my traveling companion, and said, "Shall we?" Sure.

Used the drive-thru.

"Welcome to McDonald's. What can we serve you?"
"One sausage muffin, no egg, and one...."
"Sausage is over," the voice interrupted.
I thought I misheard. "But it's only 10:30. You serve breakfast until 11:00," I said.
"I know, BREAKFAST isn't over, but sausage IS."
"It's on the menu."
"I know, but we're OUT of sausage. You have to order something else."

Well, no I don't and I didn't. We crept through the line and out the other side. They didn't even offer us a cup of coffee for our trouble. Never again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: McDonald's

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:39 pm

The proper response is, "Have you seen Falling Down?"
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:23 pm

That was exactly what I said to Anne and you're right, should have said it to the twit on the intercom!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Several years ago we were cruising down I-81 in the coal belt of Eastern PA. It was a very hot day and the M-Ds we pulled into had a broken A/C. When I got to the front of the line with sweat pouring down, I asked for two quarter pounders, two sodas, and two medium sized bags of fries. The clerk stated that they only had super size, extra large, and large size bags of fries. I stated as cooly as I could that I would have two of the middle size. He stated that they only had super size,........................! I couldn't hear the rest, as the car was heading back to I-81 with no food.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:I couldn't hear the rest, as the car was heading back to I-81 with no food.

Why not order one super size? You probably would have had about the same amount of fries for a few less shekels than two "mediums"? It might have felt good to blow them off, but ultimately you went away hungry.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:49 pm

But ultimately, he was better off.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Jeez, you guys are cranky and bitchy today.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:19 pm

@!#$ you, Harden, I'm not cranky!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:52 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:@!#$ you, Harden, I'm not cranky!

Oh yes you are!

... albeit with good reason in reference to that particular company.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Leave McDonald's alone and go to a Subway for a really good sandwich, or bring one from home.....better yet! Come to think of it, given the news today about the melamine found in pigs that may have got to market, I think it would be a very good idea. This pet food recall is going to get big.......even possibly into the human food chain. Any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:39 pm

Really, Karen? You consider Subway a good sangwidge?

I think of them as bland and stingy, with very little flavor from their translucent slices of meat. True, they are not doused in flour and grease to give them flavor....but that doesn't mean I like no flavor at all in my food. Their success is based on advertising themselves as a weight loss alternative food source to greasy burgers and fries and chicken. I've never thought they were any good in the taste category, though.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:00 pm

I'm with Hoke all the way on this one. You all seem a little out of sorts and Subway sucks.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:20 pm

I think McDonald's sucks and should be called McPaste.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Anyone who calls me out of sorts can go %^$# themselves and their equine means of arrival.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:08 am

Next time, try Burger King's Croissandwich! It's superior to the McMuffin, in my humble opinion.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:18 am

Last time I was back in the Bronx, all the Subway stores were running a promo for a free pastrami sandwich. That's right, all one had to do was walk in the door and get a free pastrami sandwich.

My brother was all hepped up for his free sandwich - I took a pass.

When he went in, they told him they were sold out. Not one to take no for an answer, he asked the sandwichmeister to make something else - a ham sandwich perhaps.
SM: " Sorry sir, I can't do that."
Bro: " Well, why not?"
SM: " The boss isn't here. I could get into trouble."
Bro: "What better time than when the boss isn't here? Who will know. Just give me a free ham sandwich."
By now the line started stacking up behind my brother. The sm gave in and made him his free sandwich.
It stunk.

Reminded me why I moved.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:00 pm

McDonald's have nicer toilets than the service stations. That influences my travel itinerary...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Hoke wrote:Really, Karen? You consider Subway a good sangwidge?

I think of them as bland and stingy, with very little flavor from their translucent slices of meat. True, they are not doused in flour and grease to give them flavor....but that doesn't mean I like no flavor at all in my food. Their success is based on advertising themselves as a weight loss alternative food source to greasy burgers and fries and chicken. I've never thought they were any good in the taste category, though.

I've been to Subway twice and have had really good sandwiches. I don't order off the board, but tell them exactly what I want. Whole wheat, turkey, lettuce, no mayo, peppers, I forget what else. But they tasted fresh, bread was fresh.......yes, I had a good experience. I have only tried our local Subway, none out of town.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Hoke wrote:Really, Karen? You consider Subway a good sangwidge?

I've been to Subway twice and have had really good sandwiches. I don't order off the board, but tell them exactly what I want. Whole wheat, turkey, lettuce, no mayo, peppers, I forget what else. But they tasted fresh, bread was fresh.......yes, I had a good experience. I have only tried our local Subway, none out of town.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:29 am

Jenise wrote: "I know, but we're OUT of sausage. You have to order something else."

What am I missing here? They ran out of a product, all restuarants run out sometimes, or is what upset you is that they didn't apologise?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:08 am

Peter May wrote:
Jenise wrote: "I know, but we're OUT of sausage. You have to order something else."

What am I missing here? They ran out of a product, all restuarants run out sometimes, or is what upset you is that they didn't apologise?

Peter
Personally I'd have been a bit put out by the wording "Sausage is over". What sort of code is that? What do they mean by "over"? Is it that (as implied) they stopped serving it after a certain time. Why not say "I'm sorry we've just run out of sausage, can I get you something else?". It strikes me as rude, but perhaps no more than I'd expect from a drive-through McDonalds.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

Re: "It's over."

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:29 am

That's a usage I've heard often before from non-American speakers of English, and it might be a regionalism somewhere else. For example when tasting a clearly dead wine a couple days ago, a French buddy of mine said, "Oh, too bad, zees wine is over."

But hey, it's Mickey Dees. You expect to be waited on by that squeaky-voiced kid from The Simpsons.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:18 am

Ian Sutton wrote: Personally I'd have been a bit put out by the wording "Sausage is over". What sort of code is that? What do they mean by "over"? Is it that (as implied) they stopped serving it after a certain time. Why not say "I'm sorry we've just run out of sausage, can I get you something else?". It strikes me as rude, but perhaps no more than I'd expect from a drive-through McDonalds.
regards
Ian

Well, Ian. Its a different country, different language. I wouldn't expect RP.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:18 pm

A travel writer in the SF Chron today announced that he thought there should be a consitutionally protected right for Americans to use the bathrooms at McDonalds, free of charge and no purchase required, anywhere in the world.

I think the measure would pass (especially when my wife is walking down the Champs Elysees during our usual Paris Death Walk).
Next