Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Uni (Sea Urchin) Chowder

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

RCP: Uni (Sea Urchin) Chowder

by JoePerry » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:01 pm

I made an interesting recipe the other night that I think is worth mentioning, if for nothing more than it was hard for me to find a recipe for using Uni in soup.

The theme for the evening was that everyone would make an updated version of a soul food they grew up with. I wanted to make an uni chowdah (being from Rockport and eating fish chowder weekly).

I began with this recipe:

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=183143

I deviated from the recipe in a few ways. First, I added a tablespoon of Domecq 51-1a Amontillado Sherry to the cream/oyster broth, since that was my wine pairing. I also added a tablespoon of butter to add more chowdery notes to the stock. I found a great source for fresh Uni in Gloucester (nearby) and was able to secure 300 gram trays for $7. As such, I processed the butter/sherry/cream/oyster liquid with an extra third of a cup of Uni. This added a wonderful color to the stock and further infused that sweet creamy flavor into the dish. I finished by using some preboiled baby red potatoes that I thinly sliced (a thick setting on a truffle slicer is perfect) and microwaved at the last second before stacking 4 slices in the middle of the chowder. I also sprinkled the chives on top rather than mixed them to further the presentation.

This dish was awesome! It was very very rich, though. We were all moaning at the first sip and groaning at the last, so don't plan on more that 3/4 cup per person.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Uni (Sea Urchin) Chowder

by Jenise » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:45 am

Wow, Joe. Did you personally collect the urchins, or is that a seafood item you can buy from fishmongers thereabouts?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:55 pm

Jenise, unless the coast near Joe features what he called "300 gram trays for $7", I'd say he bought the stuff :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:37 pm

I read every word of his post. I swear.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:15 pm

Not the best season for that, yet. Plus you need a permit.

They're not as plentiful anymore, either. :cry:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 01, 2007 10:04 pm

JoePerry wrote:Not the best season for that, yet. Plus you need a permit.

They're not as plentiful anymore, either. :cry:

That's sad to hear. They used to be really common in cold northern New England waters.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed May 02, 2007 6:50 am

Joe, that chowder was incredibly good. Having never had uni before, I was a bit skeptical but the creaminess and sweetness (not to mention richness) was amazing. And the sherry was a perfect match.