Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Summer Savory

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Summer Savory

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:57 pm

I have heard Martha Stewart, and a few others say how they love this herb. At the nursery this morning, I found some beautiful, healthy summer savory plants. I tasted a small leaf, and found it to be rather harsh and bitter. Do any of you "love" this herb and what do you do with it?
I did buy one very bushy, one just begging to go home with me, so am anxious to snip it. :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Summer Savory

by Bob Henrick » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:35 am

Karen, I have never grown or used summer savory, but I have both grown and used winter savory. I doubt there is a lot of difference between the two, but what do I know. I use the winter variety much like I use fresh thyme. I like a sprig or two in soups and stews, or with lamb shanks "osso- bucco" style. I very much like the aroma it imparts.

My herb garden is going to be a bit of work this spring because I have lost most of the herbs. I usually grow thyme, sage, savory, parsley, basil, oregano, and chives. (boy do I grow chives) I also have a (too much) spreading patch of tarragon. This weed will completely take over if allowed. I don't know if it was the weired winter we had or if the herbs were just at the end of their natural life, but all I have left this spring is the tarragon, and the chives which also will spread if allowed to put on seed heads.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Summer Savory

by Jenise » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:53 pm

have never grown or used summer savory, but I have both grown and used winter savory.

It's as you would expect Bob, the winter is a little sharper and the summer is a little more robust.

Karen, love savory too. There is no better ingredient for a pot of white bean soup.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov