Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Farro? Faro? Help!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

Farro? Faro? Help!

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:38 pm

I've read about farro, and I think that's what I bought at the Italian grocery in Columbus. It's labeled faro beans, but it looks like grain (kind of like greenish rice or large green rye). I surfed for various recipes, but didn't find anything compelling. Any experience with this grain? (I assume it's a grain, despite the label of bean on the package, and I think farro is the more common spelling, unless I've conflated two different food substances). What are your suggestions ? TIA!
Cheers,

Niki
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Farro? Faro? Help!

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Niki (Dayton OH) wrote:I've read about farro, and I think that's what I bought at the Italian grocery in Columbus. It's labeled faro beans, but it looks like grain (kind of like greenish rice or large green rye). I surfed for various recipes, but didn't find anything compelling. Any experience with this grain? (I assume it's a grain, despite the label of bean on the package, and I think farro is the more common spelling, unless I've conflated two different food substances). What are your suggestions ? TIA!

It is a grain, Niki ... "farro" is the common form, and it's very similar to wheat, I believe. I've eaten it occasionally in Tuscany, but to be honest, it never made much of an impression on me, and I haven't cooked with it. I recall it being served as a dinner starch sort of reminiscent of grits, or maybe more akin to Cream of Wheat.

Not too much help here, I guess, but I can confirm the two-r spelling and that it's a grain, not a bean.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:00 am

Had it in a soup in Lucca - it was quite delicious.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:33 am

I have been regularly buying and cooking Farro for a decade or so. I have never seen it labelled "beans". I have never seen a version with a greenish color.

Farro is light tan, beige or light brown. You should google farro to find some pictures to compare. The grains resemble whole wheat berries.

There are several related grains known as farro - the most common being spelt. Spelt is not my favorite farro grain, but it is good enough.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Dayton OH

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks, folks. I'll google some recipes and try something with it soon. Actually, Bernard, once I looked at it again it was more tan than greenish.
What are your favorite preps?
Cheers,

Niki
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:08 pm

I suggest that you cook it plain the very first time. Use about the same ratio of water to farro that you use for brown rice (a bit more than for white rice). Give the farro a quick rinse inside the pot and drain the water, then add fresh water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, drop to s slow simmer and cook, covered, until done - not mushy - about 35 minutes.

I like to serve farro with a dish that has a savory gravy or sauce, often with wild mushrooms.

Once you get the hang of farro, post back here again and I'll give my recipe for a wonderful dessert!
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Dayton OH

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Tue May 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Thanks, I'll do that!