Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Saturday night: What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Re: Saturday night: What's for dinner?

by Barb Freda » Tue May 01, 2007 9:02 am

YES. I can't believe I couldn't find canned pumpkin. Luckily, I learned a lesson last year when I was developing a cranberry recipe in July. In November I stockpiled some cranberries and some pumpkin...but it still wasn't enough. I baked and used a butternut and I bought frozen butternut for another recipe...It ain't perfect but WTF? They sell canned sweet potatoes and not pumpkin????

The photo session should be interesting, too.

b
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue May 01, 2007 3:31 pm

But Barb, did they grow and process the corn in order that they might be certain that the corn is organic or whatever? I just don't put a lot of faith in all of this. Is there even a law that states what the word organic means in relation to food. or feed, or any thing that humans and or their pets consume? I will try to check this out myself, but I would be surprised that there is a law, and if there is, that it is enforced. It is a well known fact that the FDA can't police slaughter houses properly, what makes any of us comfortable with some unsubstantiated claim of Organic? Sorry Freda to come over as a curmudgeon, which most here already know I am. :)
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Tue May 01, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Is there even a law that states what the word organic means in relation to food

There sure is, Bob. In fact, there are both laws in many states AND a law at the federal level, and they're enforced.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/NOP/FactSheets/LabelingE.html
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue May 01, 2007 5:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:Is there even a law that states what the word organic means in relation to food

There sure is, Bob. In fact, there are both laws in many states AND a law at the federal level, and they're enforced.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/NOP/FactSheets/LabelingE.html

I of course knew there was a law defining organic, so my question as quoted was rhetoric, However as in other divisions of the FDA, I am not as sure as some about the enforcement. I will in the next few days post the % of meat (for example) that a meat inspector inspects. It is a low percentage. I suspect the same holds true for all farm to market products. Do spinach farmers use effluent to water their fields? I don't know. I do know that 30 years ago (I don't know about today) the municipal golf course in Fargo North Dakota used water from the sewage treatment plant to water the golf course. I know that the spinach farmers suffered great financial woe due to the thought that it was their product that spread the E. Coli. I Know that the FDA is supposed to watch this, just as they are supposed to watch for cheaters in the "organic" food business, and if you or anyone else doesn't think there are cheaters, then I applaud your trust. I also know that I am not going to change your thinking, no more than you will change mine, but we can talk can't we. :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 01, 2007 8:37 pm

I've been vacationing with my septagenerian parents all week. A couple of Chinese stir-fries (one beef and green peppers with ginger; one mixed vegetables--squash, asparagus, peppers) were the extent of culinary adventure. Both delicious (the food, not the parents).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Wed May 02, 2007 11:45 pm

A little late but better than not at all!!

Saturday was a quick grill job, had a play to attend that evening.

Sunday we made duck breast out of Bobby Flay's <i>Grilling for Life</i> book. The boneless and skinless breasts are brushed with canola oil then seasoned with ground coriander and kosher salt before grilling. They are topped with a sauce made from dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, honey, fresh thyme, and fresh ground pepper.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu May 03, 2007 8:49 am

Mike, did you cook the duck breasts all the way through, or eat them rare. I'm always curious about peoples' preference on this...
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Thu May 03, 2007 3:10 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Mike, did you cook the duck breasts all the way through, or eat them rare. I'm always curious about peoples' preference on this...

Carrie, this was the first time we cooked duck breasts. Starting at room temperature, they cooked 4 minutes on each side which left some pink. They tasted fine on Sunday and leftovers on Wednesday.

Flay definitely recommends medium-rare to medium on duck breasts via 3 to 4 minutes per side over a hot grill for an 8 oz boneless, skinless breast. I figured that I could go to 4 minutes even with a smaller breast because my (or any) gas grill doesn't throw the same heat that charcoal does. Flay also warns against overcooking these which is understandable given that once the skin is removed there isn't much fat left in the meat to keep it moist.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu May 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Late to the reply--in the end, I think we educate ourselves--even WITH the laws. Robin knows I'm quite the libertarian. I don't really trust anyone. But I do believe people at places like Niman pay attention. So I pay attention. Long term benefits? Dunno for sure. I just know I am trying.

b
Previous