Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

selecting a wine and finding a food to match

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

cynthia kukla

Rank

Just got here

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:32 pm

illinois state university

selecting a wine and finding a food to match

by cynthia kukla » Tue May 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Hi All, I am a new member tho a long-time fan of Robin's winelovers page.

I have some pretty special wine and from time to time, starting with the wine, I would like to make a meal based on its compatibility w/ my chosen wine. All the sites I visit, including this one, start w/ food, then suggest wine. Do you know of any good sites where I could type in the specifics about a wine first, and the food match would pop up?

Cynthia
brush in hand
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: selecting a wine and finding a food to match

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 01, 2007 2:45 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Cynthia! (Great name! :lol: )

I am not aware of any sites like that, but this is a great place to ask that kind of question. We will all certainly be more than happy to give you advice!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 pm

Do you know of any good sites where I could type in the specifics about a wine first, and the food match would pop up?
Welcome, Cynthia. You can always post the wine here and you will undoubtedly get a list of possible food suggestions from the gang. I've never found those standard lists to be all that helpful as the key in pairing is many times driven by the spices and/or cooking method involved.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 pm

Welcome Cynthia! This is probably the best place on the net to get ideas for matching foods to wines. But you must tell us what the wine is!

I often find that if the wine is really special, then the food should be rather neutral to allow the wine to shine. I rather like a simple wild mushroom risotto with my older, special wines - this is because a good friend of mine (who usually gets to share my old and special bottles!) is vegetarian, but this vegeterian food is very wine friendly and is tasty and is neutral enough to complement an aged wine. But, as I said, we do need to know the wine before we can suggest pairings.

Cheers,
Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue May 01, 2007 4:51 pm

Hi Cynthia,

You can always do like I do when I have a wine / food pairing question. Post a note here. There is nothing like practical experience when it comes to food / wine pairings.

And experience abounds in this place.

Richard

... I would never, ever have thought to pair Zin w/ Italian food. But it does work...