Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Whole Foods Market coming to UK

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Whole Foods Market coming to UK

by Peter May » Sat May 05, 2007 9:40 am

On 6 June Whole Foods Market, "America's most aggressive and successful "natural" supermarket, is coming to Britain."

Their first store is opening in London. "Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh are next on the list. In Ireland, Dublin is targeted."

Quotes from The Daily Telegraph -- full article at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wine/main.jh ... t105.xml#1

The Telegraph highlights the size of the store compared with others "Planet Organic's largest London store is 5,500 sq ft; Fortnum & Mason's recently expanded food floors boast 18,500 sq ft. Whole Foods will be 80,000 sq ft - the size of the new Wembley Stadium" and notes the difficulty it will have to fill the shelves -

"The Kensington store's initial promise was to buy local; the reality is that it can't fill the shelves this way. Its food, organic and otherwise, will now be "regionally" sourced, which means the length and breadth of the British Isles - and the Continent. Add to this certain American brands that have been flown over to make up the shortfall and you have a typically cosmopolitan food hall."

It is planned to open 30-40 stores in Britain "Wherever you live in Britain, if you have a favourite natural food store you should take notice, because not much survives when Whole Foods comes to town. It is a behemoth, to which independent retailers are just so much small fry"

The article calls it a "yellow Pac-Man chomping its way across America" swallowing competition, and notes that "Tesco has impishly trademarked the name "Tesco Wholefoods", while all supermarkets have been frantically sewing up UK organic contracts"

Nothing much yet on their website http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/UK except the boast they "will be the largest food retailer in London
with 80,000 square feet of retail space"
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Whole Foods Market coming to UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat May 05, 2007 9:49 am

Do I take it they aim to go head to head with supermarkets, rather than farmers markets / greengrocers / farm shops?

By the sound of it I'm not sure whether I'll love or loathe them, but I can see they'll make an impact.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat May 05, 2007 12:41 pm

I guess the idea is that things are already so expensive in the UK that Whole Paycheck's prices won't shock you.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat May 05, 2007 12:48 pm

Interesting that they are opening on D-Day. 8)

Ian, they want to be everyone's supermarket of choice, but they fall short on a lot of everyday type items. At least here at the Santa Fe store.

We don't go there much because, as Stuart says, the prices are quite high. We too call it Whole Paycheck.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat May 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Cynthia and Stuart
Thanks for this - stuck out in rural Norfolk, I'm sure it we be a long time before we get one here. The rellies in Birmingham area might be interested though.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue May 08, 2007 9:49 pm

On balance, we like them. However we go there to get or look for something we can't find elsewhere and therefore don't drop the whole paycheck.

All the ones we've been to including the new one near us in Portland, ME have good wine selections ranging from cheap to cheeky, and a talking head with some brains in it to go with it.

One's hard to finds are likely to be quite different than another's. On our last trip we found frozen cranberries, not available in any local super; and wild yam soba, as oriental specialties are also hard finds around here.