Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Any interesting weekend cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Any interesting weekend cooking?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun May 06, 2007 11:40 am

Today I will make the German potato salad I never got around to last weekend, the usual rye bread, and a lemon meringue pie. Friday I made guacamole and that was dinner. Other than that, I have been a slug in the cooking department.

What did you make this weekend?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Any interesting weekend cooking?

by James Roscoe » Sun May 06, 2007 11:43 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I have been a slug.

Why am I not surprised! :lol:
;
;
;
;
;
;
;
It's amazing what you can do with a little editing. I feel like a newspaper reporter! :D
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun May 06, 2007 11:44 am

I can always count on you, James! :?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun May 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I can always count on you, James! :?

We do make a pair. :P
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun May 06, 2007 12:41 pm

Since my mother-in-law will be visiting one of her sons (out of town) for Mothers Day, I'm having the local family over for dinner later today (after the Sabres game, of course). Nothing fancy - chicken marinated in Chiavetta's cooked over charcoal, potato salad, green salad and a carrot cake that I bought. Probably serve some home made Riesling or Vidal.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun May 06, 2007 4:24 pm

We had wild mushrooms from the back paddock with rare cooked fillet steak.

I also made a scintillating, tangy but heart stopping sauvignon blanc beurre blanc with chervil and a touch of tomato paste for a subtle flavour addition. This was served with fish cakes that were originally going to be quenelles and poached, but I ended up forming them into cakes and pan frying them. This course was matched to a mellow, alternative style of sauvignon blanc not a typical racy, acidic one.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun May 06, 2007 11:19 pm

I've been making sourdough bagels. But hey, you already know that...hehe..

Am on the fourth test run now, think I have them nailed....sourdough starter, malt extract, "kettle" them for 3.5 minutes and turn them once during baking. Am making poppyseed, caraway, sesame seed and blueberry ones today (no idea how the blueberry ones are going to work).

Cheers, Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 07, 2007 12:16 am

Gah!! We have major remodeling going on with our upstairs. While this does not yet directly involve the kitchen, we do have a thick layer of dust which accumulates each day on every surface in the house. We have a living room full of clothing and furniture from the bedrooms and our mattress is now deconstructed and sitting atop our dining room table. So things are not real conducive to cooking and eating at our house right now. Did a prosciutto-wrapped pork loin, roasted potatoes, and sauteed carrots for this evening. That's all the cooking that will be done for a while, though. :(

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon May 07, 2007 12:39 am

Attended a wedding last night so we had nothing to do with that food. (That doesn't sound quite right, does it?:?)

Tonight, I was fending for myself. Went to the local fishmonger and picked up a thick 8 oz piece of tuna. Prepared it using geo.'s recipe for grilled basil tuna, a marinade of fresh basil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, and olive oil. Thanks, geo.!!!! Served with zucchini sauteed with garlic, shallots, and ginger then finished with fresh dill. Recipe from latest Food and Wine. Consumed with 2002 Tahbilk Marsanne, a bottle highly recommended (deservedly so) by Bob Henrick. Thanks, Bob!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 07, 2007 8:12 am

I made the gnocchi from the linked recipe in the gnocchi post, and tossed them in a butter, sage and lemon sauce in which I had wilted some spinach. Not bad. A little heavy, but not bad at all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 07, 2007 11:05 am

Our weekend plans were dominated by a progressive dinner that our rinky dink little Yacht Club threw in our marina for opening day. B dock got salad duty, and for that I made a big pasta salad using pipette shape (brand new to me--thick, ridged little elbow shapes that look like the concrete elbows you see installed in underground sewer systems) with loads of lox-type smoked salmon, fresh dill, marinated red onions, and arugula and dill from my garden. I couldn't believe how many people asked what the arugula was.

Yesterday we were very international. Breakfast was a spanish omelet for Bob (I cook eggs well even though I don't eat them), lunch was a spicy vegetarian bowl of malaysian noodles with a ton of fresh basil, and dinner was an all-American smoke-roasted tri-tip with celery-wheat pilaf and slices of golden beets tossed with horseradish and butter after a chopped starter salad of marinated cukes and red peppers. With dinner, we compared two modest Bordeaux wines.

Oh, and terrible news: I might be allergic to beets now! My throat got that hot itch and my nose plugged up shortly after I tested the dish--that's identical to the reaction that I get to honeydew melon. I've got some leftovers I'll sample again today just to be sure. I hope it's not true--but then, if it's not, what did that to me?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon May 07, 2007 7:58 pm

Jenise, I have reactions like that to raw celery, peeling potato skins, and most recently, eating raw peas out of the pod.