Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Nongeeks are people too (long)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Nongeeks are people too (long)

by Howard » Wed May 09, 2007 1:30 am

This was a dinner for 16 that my wife and I gave as part of a charity fund-raiser for my kids’ school scholarship foundation. People went to a cocktail party and auction, then were bussed via trolley to various houses around the city for supper. They paid $150/couple for supper to the foundation. Even though this was for charity, that created not a small amount of pressure to produce an evening worth the tariff. I was in charge of the menu and cooking. Sandy ran the kitchen help and organized the rental of dishes, , a serving table/linens, etc. We really do work well together as a team but some of my habits are pretty annoying. For example, she needed to get the serving pieces ordered and I kept fussing with the menu, etc. Nonetheless, this was really fun as a project for the two of us to do.

I planned the menu to include walk around appetizers and main courses for which timing was not important. I also wanted dishes that could be made in advance to minimize the stress of the day of the event. Since my favorite style of food is bistro, either French or Italian, and my daughter also wanted me to make a Provencal style lunch for her French class this week, I settled on a meal with a Southern French theme. Once I decided on this for the food, I then matched the wines by research and by talking to the people at K&L Wines in California. I made the pate the Sunday before the dinner, which was on the following Saturday. I started cooking in earnest on Wednesday, had to work on Thursday, then cooked like a fiend on Friday and Saturday.

The appetizers included Roasted provencal chickpeas. These were tasty little bar-food nibs. Kind of easy to ignore but everyone who tasted them commented on how unusual they were – and then reached for another handful. I also made duck pate. This is actually from Mirelle Johnston’s book on the cuisine of Burgundy but, hey, it’s a spectacular dish, amazingly rich, very impressive and can easily be made even a week in advance. It just gets better and better with time. Served with cornichons and tiny little cocktail rye bread slices. The last appetizer was the black and green olive tapenade on goat cheese/crostini. Extremely well received, I had none left. Wine with appetizers was Clairette de Die Cave Carod – an off dry sparkler made from Muscat grapes that really was lovely. It has loads of fruit and flowers that you’d expect. At 7% alcohol it was perfect for starting a long wine/dinner evening.

I then served raspberry sorbet as an amuse/cleanser, and also to let people know it was time to sit down. Here’s the thing, this sorbet is so easy to make yet people just loved it. They went on and on about how good it was so I think several things were happening. First, non-geeks are not used to homemade. Second, timing the sweet/tart sorbet after the appetizers worked really well.

Main courses were bouillabaisse and beef with wine, bacon, onions and mushrooms. These were served buffet style. I introduced the bouillabaisse to the crowd and told them about the rouille – advising them that it was very garlicky and a little spicey. Everyone seemed to appreciated the comments and several commented on how tasty the rouille was. I had loads of favorable comments on the bouillabaisse. Wine with the fish soup was 2006 Vin de Pays des Bouches du Rhone Domaine de l'Attilon Rosé (Organic). This is a blend of grenach/cinsault. It is dry, full of strawberries and cherries, plenty of backbone, a touch of mineraly flavor. A very nice rose and good match with the saffron/seafood flavors.

The beef was served with la macaronade. The macaronade was unusual but people seemed to like it. It was a nice departure from buttered potatoes and Patricia Wells claims it is a typical accompaniment to Southern French stew. The wine was 2005 Côtes du Rhône Villages Grand Veneur "Champauvins". I think this is a little young yet. The tannins are strong, the fruit and flowers struggle to appear, yet the wine is still very pleasant. Typical raspberry and syrah/pepper flavors. Probably should have got a 2004 but this still went well with the stew. The beef was very well received and I had very little of this left.

The cheeses were served while I plated the dessert and ultimately both were on the buffet table at the same time. I struggled with how to make and serve really good coffee for 16, then remembered that there’s a great independent coffee house a block or so away from our new house. I sent my daughter out for one of those bulk coffee servers and the issue was put to rest. These guys use a coffee roaster who has been around for 35 years here in the Chicago area. The coffee is excellent and I didn’t have to deal with one of those giant percolators that create awful coffee. The dessert plate was very attractive with a slice of the caramelized apple pound cake and the poached pears with the deep purple wine sauce. The lavendar and spices really created a lovely aroma that went over very well. I served the following cheeses: epoisse because I love it, morbier, petit basque and a southern French blue that I forgot the name of. The dessert wine was 2004 Muscat de Beaumes de Venise, Domaine de La Pigeade. I’d never had a Baumes de Venise before and this was a great excuse to try one. Mmmmmmm. Tangerine, peaches, flowers, a little minerals, enough tartness. Mmmmmmm.

I think that one of the reasons we had so much fun was because we had loads of help. My daughter had 3 of her friends help serve appetizers, clear plates, pour water, etc. We had two other very efficient people helping me plate salads and desserts, clean glasses and pots and ultimately break down the buffet at the end of the evening. It was expensive to hire all those people but wow, what a difference it made. The guests arrived around 8:30 and the last couple left around 1:30am. At that point, Sandy and I looked around and realized the kitchen was clean, the dishes were put away and ready to be picked up and we had enjoyed ourselves immensely. I think several things contributed to that enjoyment. First, I knew the logistics of serving would be taken care of by Sandy. Second, after I made the menu, I made a schedule of what needed to be done and when, including when to shop when to start the bread dough ( I ended up making two different batches of baguettes and four loaves of olive flatbread), when to make the various dishes, etc. That relieved me of having to think about it during the heat of preparation and it allowed me to check things off the list rather than worry about forgetting something. A third thing we did right this time was to hire enough competent help. It’s expensive but I think well worth it. Oh, and regarding the title, none of our guests were food or wine geeks, yet many commented on how much they enjoyed the food, the wine and the discussion. (For example, Clairette de Die has been around since 77AD according to Pliny the Elder). Highly recommend the experience.
Last edited by Howard on Wed May 09, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Howard
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Nongeeks are people too (long)

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 am

Excellent report, Howard. Thanks for allowing us to vicariously enjoy the evening too!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 09, 2007 2:23 pm

Bravo, Howard, bravo! What a fabulous meal. You've come SOOOOOOOOOO far in a relatively short period of time--you're just amazing.

And I so agree about having the help and the written schedule. I do the latter even when I'm only serving 6 or 8 persons, that is when it's a four-five-six course kind of meal, where some courses consist of several steps. Everything goes so much smoother, plus creating the schedule forces you to think through every single step and eliminate bottlenecks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed May 09, 2007 3:46 pm

Howard - Thanks, also, for posting the recipes! They look great.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 09, 2007 4:11 pm

Piling on with the rest, that's a truly impressive post in many ways, Howard. Thanks for sharing it!
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed May 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Very nice post! I felt like I was there :)
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed May 09, 2007 7:30 pm

My hat is off to you Howard. My experience at cooking up the food for the first two NiagaraCOOLs makes me appreciate your accomplishment even more. Last summer I attended my first MOCOOL picnic and realized how much more organized they were than I. I may borrow a bit from you for this year's picnic, both in organization and perhaps a recipe or two (hmmm.... black and green olive tapenade). :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Well done

by GeoCWeyer » Wed May 09, 2007 8:14 pm

I discovered myself that I can't do a dinner larger than 8 including myself and my bride without experienced outside help. I also have discovered as I am certain you have that not only the best help but also the one that gives you an extra sense of fullfillment is working with your children.

My son and I have worked together in both professional and home kitchens. We have learned in the process to respect eachother's expertise, perceptions and judgements. My daughter-in-law with her fine dining service experience (she still does training for one of the better operations in Minneapolis) adds the special touch and timing necessary to taske care of the front half of the operation. My wife's function is to set up the dining room/rooms, and the plates before the guests arrive.

With a larger party we hire additional clean up and support help. At the end of the evening while exhausted we share the wonderful sense fullfillment that you must have felt. What a great time, with the family working together producing an exceptional beyond expectations experience for your guests. It never ceases to amaze me the great results we have and the great feelings of satisfaction and pride that we share.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Well done

by Maria Samms » Thu May 10, 2007 8:34 am

WOW Howard...what a fantastic post! Your dinner sounded absolutely wonderful. I am sure geeks as well as non-geeks were quite impressed. Thank you so much for posting all those recipes as well!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin