Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Arugulated

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Arugulated

by Jenise » Wed May 09, 2007 5:25 pm

Arugula: how can anything so easy to grow be so good? The darn stuff is unstoppable! IT'S COMING UP ALL OVER MY YARD. I'm having to rip it out--just killed about 200 little seedlings when I put in my tomatoes just now.

If there's anyone who has thought about planting this and hasn't gotten around to it, hesitate no longer. No matter how brown your thumb, this will grow for you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Arugulated

by Karen/NoCA » Wed May 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Your climate must be perfect for arugula. I planted some two months ago, and it did well until the heat. Even though I had in in a shady part of the raised beds, it bolted and that was that. I buy it now from the Farmer's Market for folks who live at the 3000 ft. level and it is wonderful.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 11:40 am

Karen, I must be, but I had no idea, I've never grown it before. But it sure does well here. Dies off in the winter and comes back in the spring stronger than ever. Everywhere. It's now the weed that comes up between the paver blocks in my front courtyard.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu May 10, 2007 11:57 am

You must have the type of arugula which is a hardy perennial - long, narrow serrated leaf that comes back each year from the roots of the previous years plant. Yes, it is invasive ! I quit ripping it out because it makes a fantastic ground cover and the lovely little yellow flowers are quite nice for filler in a cut bouquet. Oh yes, if you let it go to seed you will have a lawn of arugula to mow - so I have a lot of arugula flower arrangements. This is the earliest plant in my spring yard.

I also have the biannual arugula which is more commonly found in markets - the larger, flat, lobulated, more tender leaf. This is such
a prolific seed producer that it also is hard to stop. This variety will seed itself for several crops in one season here in Wisconsin.

I use arugula in just about anything - as a pesto - as a pasta sauce with or without tomatoes - as a last minute topping on pizza - solo salad or mixd salad -as a base for cold grilled meat salad. It is great dressed with lemon juice/evoo/capers or with balsamic/evoo.

I am glad it is so prolific and easy to grow in my region.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 12:17 pm

Christina, yes that's exactly the variety I grow, yellow flowers and all. I didn't realize it was a perennial when I bought it, rather I chose it from a seed catalog because it sounded like the spicier arugula I used to buy in Europe. It's considered an Italian variety. And it's sometimes almost too strong, especially late in the season, but I'm not unhappy with it. I can always buy the other if I want a milder ingredient.

Maybe we should have arugula for our next featured ingredient.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu May 10, 2007 12:37 pm

It is the variety I saw growing wild all over Capri . It is more pungent and it does get stronger later in the season. At that point I use just the inner, young leaves - I think they remain less bitter. The catalogs are confusing -sometimes referred to as "hearty". I bought both types of seed because I didn't know what would grow here and I didn't understand them until after the first season. If it is so hearty in Wisconsin and on Capri it must grow anywhere !

Not sure that arugula alone would make a whole month interesting. Perhaps combining it with other leaves ? I am also picking fresh watercress .. any others ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 1:10 pm

It is the variety I saw growing wild all over Capri.

Wish I'd said that. :)

It is more pungent and it does get stronger later in the season. At that point I use just the inner, young leaves - I think they remain less bitter

Yes, I keep pinching off the tender new clusters when they're just 3" long.

As for arugula not being enough of a topic for a month, even as I suggested it I thought so too. But two minutes of googling arugula recipes changed my mind. But if it proves otherwise, we can quickly change. Part of the reason for changing the name from IOTM to Freatured Ingredient was to lose the calendar obligation. We can change whenever we want, so let's see how it goes.
Last edited by Jenise on Thu May 10, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 10, 2007 1:41 pm

Sounds as bad as mint and bergamot.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 10, 2007 1:48 pm

Paul, I thought bergamot was a citrus fruit. No?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat May 12, 2007 12:10 am

The name "bergamot" is also given to a perennial herb on the mint family that grows wild in the northeast USA. It's also known as Oswego Tea and bee-balm. The lavender or red flowers are much frequented by bumblebees, hummingbird moths, and hummingbirds. The leaves are very aromatic and have an aroma and flavor reminiscent of the citrus bergamot, hence the use of the name for the herb. You can turn any tea into "poor man's Earl Grey" by adding a few bergamot herb leaves when infusing the tea.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 12, 2007 12:03 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The name "bergamot" is also given to a perennial herb on the mint family that grows wild in the northeast USA. It's also known as Oswego Tea and bee-balm. The lavender or red flowers are much frequented by bumblebees, hummingbird moths, and hummingbirds. The leaves are very aromatic and have an aroma and flavor reminiscent of the citrus bergamot, hence the use of the name for the herb. You can turn any tea into "poor man's Earl Grey" by adding a few bergamot herb leaves when infusing the tea.

-Paul W.

AHHHHHHH, thank you. All becomes clear. I had no idea, but in fact just yesterday saw an unfamiliar mint that had "bee" in the name. I'll bet that's what it was.
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

by Kim Adams » Sat May 12, 2007 4:28 pm

I'll trade you your invasive arugula for my invasive lemon balm. :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat May 12, 2007 9:56 pm

Kim, I will trade you 1/2 of my tarragon for your lemon balm, even if I know not what to use it for. :) Good to see you madam.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Kim Adams

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:50 pm

by Kim Adams » Sun May 13, 2007 9:10 am

I'd sure like to take you up on that, Bob. It looks like my tarragon plant won't be coming up this year. My chives are already in full bloom but no sign of the tarragon. That's too bad because it was a really tasty plant and well established.