Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Featured Ingredient: Arugula

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Featured Ingredient: Arugula

by Jenise » Fri May 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Bob Ross wrote:There are lots of great ideas here, Jenise. Thanks for picking this ingredient for May. I use it often, but love the way it dresses up mashed potatoes when we feel like a little complexity in the mashed potatoes. Can't remember where I got this well tested favorite:

Arugula and Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes

Bob, now THAT'S interesting. Something I've been meaning to comment on is how many times, as I googled arugula all over the 'net, goat cheese (or by it's French name, chevre) was mentioned as a co-ingredient with arugula. One menu most tantalizingly mentioned an arugula and goat cheese ravioli, which has been on my list of things to make and which I haven't gotten around to for lack of time for a project of that complexity. Mashed potatoes--would never have thought of it, even though I consider mashed potatoes a must as a side dish for roast chicken with arugula pesto, and even though I load my mashed taters with all sorts of green stuff. This would be a perfect way to test the pairing without going to all the trouble of the ravioli, lovely as the latter would be. Thanks for posting this!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Eileen Monaghan

Rank

Just got here

Sun May 27, 2007 9:52 pm

Brockport, NY

by Eileen Monaghan » Thu May 31, 2007 8:15 am

Newbie chiming in here...

One of our favorite ways to use it is wilted in a salad of new potatoes, smoked sausage & a maple-mustard vinaigrette.

I'm going to have to try those mashed pots - they sound scrumptious.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 31, 2007 8:31 am

Eileen Monaghan wrote:Newbie chiming in here...

Welcome, Eileen! Glad you found your way here.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu May 31, 2007 10:58 am

Welcome, Eileen. Regards, Bob
Previous