Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Joy of Breadmaking -- Spelt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Joy of Breadmaking -- Spelt

by Peter May » Sat May 12, 2007 11:26 am

Continuing the grains theme and my newfound delight in breadmaking, for my third flour I am using Spelt, about which I read an enthusiastic entry in June's Bread, Water, Salt, Oilblog.

Spelt is an early type of wheat used since Roman times up to the industrial revolution when mechanical threshing machines worked better with new hybrid yeasts.

Jean says

"Spelt contains more protein, fat and fibre than wheat. It also contains special carbohydrates called mucopolysaccharides, which play a decisive role in stimulating the body’s immune system. Its cultivation was widespread until the industrial revolution, when new technology led to a preference for the easier to thresh common wheat. Its gluten composition is different to that of ordinary wheat and apparently it has an intense flavour. But most importantly, and I’m very glad I read this, it rises fast, and you particularly have to watch the second proving."

It is the easiest flour I have found to knead, coming together in moments to a smooth elastic non-sticky ball. It rises fast though I didn't find it as fast as June's 15 minutes.

It has a lovely taste, makes great toast and good sandwiches and its a bit crumbly.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: Joy of Breadmaking -- Spelt

by Howard » Sat May 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Do you use the same amount of spelt as wheat flour?

By the way, nice looking loaf of bread.
:)
Howard
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat May 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Howard wrote:Do you use the same amount of spelt as wheat flour?

Yes, this is from 500g / 1 lb flour.

I used the recipe on the flour bag, the only difference from the other 2 flours was a lower oven temperature.

But all three bags had slightly different instructions.

It is a lovely flour to work with, so different from the white bread flour I use when making pizza which needs a lot of kneading work to come together
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sun May 13, 2007 9:56 pm

Hi,
I came across both whole grain and white spelt flour. Opted for the "whole grain". I'll get around to trying it in the middle of the week or so.
Howard
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue May 15, 2007 10:07 am

The flour I used was organic wholegrain (we use the term wholemeal) flour.

Spelt is popular with organic farms because it doesn´t need the artificial fertilisers that modern wheat requires.