Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Got a chicken. Got some tarragon. Any new ideas?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Got a chicken. Got some tarragon. Any new ideas?

by Robin Garr » Sun May 13, 2007 4:10 pm

I think chicken and tarragon are a wonderful pair, and our tarragon patch is calling out to me tonight, as is a fine bird from the Smart Chicken folks.

The usual suspects, though - a simple fricassee with lots of tarragon, or a tarragon-scented bechamel over cooked bird - seem kind of same-o tonight.

I've also got a bunch of freshly picked asparagus that will play into dinner in some way, even if it's just a side dish.

I'll probably start cooking in an hour or so. Anyone got any creative ideas to throw my way between now and then? :)
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Got a chicken. Got some tarragon. Any new ideas?

by Bernard Roth » Sun May 13, 2007 4:33 pm

I like to make a Tarragon-Dijon sauce. Really very simple. Season the cut up bird with salt and pepper, brown it and transfer to a pan w/chopped shallots to finish in the over, perhaps with a bit of white wine in the bottom to prevent burning.

Saute minced shallot in butter in the pab you used for browning. Degalze with stock. Add Dijon mustard and heavy cream. Stir. Adjust salt and pepper. Just before serving, add plenty of minced tarragon. Pour over the roasted chicken.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun May 13, 2007 4:38 pm

A dining partner at a restaurant last night had chicken with a sauce that sounds very much like this one, and she said it was fabulous.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun May 13, 2007 5:01 pm

One that we've used a lot recently, is mushroom and tarragon which is a great match (and no less so if chicken is there as well).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Thanks, all! Ian, great idea, but I'm out of mushrooms, doggone it. Bernie's idea sounds splendid, but like my bechamel option, on the traditional side. I keep feeling that if I can think hard enough I'll come up with something more outside-the-box. Still, dijon and cream ... or maybe dijon-accented bechamel ... definitely some ideas to work with here.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sun May 13, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm a huge fan of tarragon citrus sauces. I'd probably make a reduction pan sauce with (hopefully fresh) orange juice and/or apricot jam after deglazing the pan with white wine. Add oj and reduce, add the tarragon and reduce, finish with butter.

Fred
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 13, 2007 10:17 pm

I'm going to vote with Fred: tarragon and apricots/peaches (or some other yellow pit fruit). Use a splash of Grand Marnier. Treat it as an herbal bigarade over a simply roasted bird.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Tue May 15, 2007 12:55 pm

So what did you make Robin? You got some wonderful suggestions!

I know I am too late but I used to make poached chicken with tarragon served with a mustard hollandaise sauce.

I also love to put tarragon in my chicken salad.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin