Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What did you make for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

What did you make for dinner?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun May 13, 2007 9:11 pm

I was feeling a bit uninspired and not like spending a ton of time in the kitchen tonight, so dinner was an easy and quick fried brown rice with eggs, bacon, scallions, peas, ginger, and sesame oil. Comfort food.

What did you make?
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: What did you make for dinner?

by Doug Surplus » Mon May 14, 2007 12:53 am

Nada - I let the cook at the Red Kilt make my dinner tonight.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Mon May 14, 2007 1:59 am

"Triple fermentation" dinner. Got back after 9:30 pm and was too lazy/tired to cook, so just made some white rice and topped it with stuff I already had in the fridge: natto, kimchee, and stinky tofu. Surprised I haven't exploded yet.

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 14, 2007 7:15 am

As discussed in another thread, we had a chicken with tarragon. :) More specifically, I split and butterflied a bird, crammed plenty of fresh tarragon sprigs under its breast skinn, rubbed the outside with olive oil and finelly minced Vidalia onions and minced fresh tarragon, s&p. Roasted it at 450/400 for about 45 minutes while making a pretty standard bechamel, to which I then added a dollop of Dijon, er, Zatarain's coarse-textured mustard and yet more minced tarragon. It took a little tasting and careful addition of elements to get the sauce flavors balanced - the tarragon is lush but not as intense is it will get later in the summer - but it ended up fine.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon May 14, 2007 8:06 am

two pizzas - one margherita, one sausage.
Green salad.
Strawberries and cream for dessert.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon May 14, 2007 10:42 am

Salmon with maple-soy marinade, fresh green beans and new yukon gold potatoes sliced and fried in butter & olive oil.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 am

We had an Italian dinner party Saturday night, so we've been eating a lot of leftovers. Mmm, but what good leftovers they are :D

Here's what we had...
-Extensive antipasti platter (put together by our favorite Italian restaurant)
-Bruschetta topped with white beans, pancetta, garlic and rosemary
-Smoked salmon served with crackers and cream cheese added with fresh parsley, green onion and a little hot sauce
-Arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette and shaved ParmReg
-Grilled Italian sausages with different color peppers (including one little jalepeno), onions, rosemary and marsala wine
-Traditional lasagne (sausage, meat, red sauce, ricotta)
-Seafood lasagne (shrimp, scallops, crab, romano bechamel)
-Tirimisu (found THE BEST recipe for this)
-Mini Canoli (made by the restaurant)

Cynthia, your fried rice sounded delicious. I never would have thought to put bacon in it, but I'll bet it added a really nice element.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 14, 2007 11:24 am

Carrie, I like your idea of pairing the two lasagnas--very inventive.

We had an FLDG combo dinner. Our salad, inspired by Alan Urischinko's post, was a diced avocado tossed with fresh oregano leaves, halves of strawberry tomatoes and a peppery vinaigrette. That was followed by Gary's Persian Celery Stew served over plain basmati rice with a 2000 Garreau Cuvee Armande from Bordeaux.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon May 14, 2007 11:17 pm

Our daughter came home from college for the weekend and brought my mother with her. We ate very well this weekend.

On Saturday we started with shrimp cocktail and cocktail sauce with a bottle of "Sticks" chardonnay from Oz. The main course was grilled tuna marinated in soy, honey, lime juice and zest, brown sugar, ginger, toasted sesame oil, and garlic. One side dish was sliced zucchini grilled with a little olive oil and seasoned salt. Other side dish was potato wedges tossed with olive oil and paprika then baked. Wine was Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett. Echoing comments in another thread about the "downgrading" of Auslese grapes, this was a little too sweet for my wife and daughter.

On Sunday we had grilled bone-in ribeye steaks lightly seasoned with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper. On the side were sliced tomatoes topped with fresh mozzarella, fresh chopped basil, and olive oil. Also cheesy potatoes. Wine was a Wightman "Tri-Leopard" Cabernet.

Dessert both nights was Graeter's ice cream, varying flavors and concoctions.

All in all, a pretty decadent culinary weekend. :D
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue May 15, 2007 12:26 am

JT and I must have been separated at birth (explains a lot). Sunday night, we also did pizza, a margharita and a wild mushroom and raclette. Some ESL gamay to wash it down.

Last night, bindi jalfrezi, sambar/idli, and some plain basmati.

Tonight, exhausted from Little League practice, just a quick sandwich.

Tomorrow, it's manual labor at The Other Stupid's house- can you believe it, he's doing another kitchen improvement. Lord knows what we'll eat, but it will be fattening.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue May 15, 2007 9:27 am

Easy. My friend didn't want to freeze a pork loin he had cooked, so I got half of it, along with some carrots, potatoes and mushrooms. All I had to do was reheat it and cook some green beans and slice some of my bread I had made the day before.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue May 15, 2007 9:48 am

I fixed my true love and visiting daughter grilled loin ends Teriyaki, along with brown Basmati rice and Italian green beans. Washing it down with 2001 TJ Private Stash, and finished with slow churned pistachio ice cream
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue May 15, 2007 9:58 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:

Tonight, exhausted from Little League practice, just a quick sandwich.

Aren't you a little old to be playing Little League? Or is this the Filipino team? :wink:
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue May 15, 2007 10:19 pm

I finally found someone I could beat.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed May 16, 2007 9:33 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I finally found someone I could beat.

Curious. I beat my wife and keep telling her that I'll stop when her morale improves.
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed May 16, 2007 2:36 pm

Nachos.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri May 18, 2007 10:05 am

Last night I made Philly steak sandwiches and homemade fried onion rings--which means tonight I should eat a tofu something or other.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri May 18, 2007 12:41 pm

Tonight, we're having an all-Persian party, so we're making:

Khoresht-e Gheym Bademjan which is another "stew" similar to the Khoresht-e Karafs in my last recipe, but this time the underbelly is chop meat and eggplant.

and then either

Kuku-ye Sabzi which is basically a fritatta using popular herbs from the Persian kitchen,

or

Kuku-ye Sib Zamini which is again like a frittata, but this time with potatoes.

If you guys are interested in Persian recipes, I usually go to:

Iranian Recipes, and Iranian/Persian Recipes,

when my Farsi skills fail me in figuring out what I'll be eating on a given night. They do not exactly parallel the recipes I see going on, but I imagine that's the same all over. These give pretty good guidance.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat May 19, 2007 11:29 am

Last night I made fake crab sandwiches with homemade tartar sauce, topped with alfalfa sprouts and lettuce on toasted hamburger buns, accompanied by tomato soup. Not bad.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat May 19, 2007 2:20 pm

Gary, thanks for the links - as you might have guessed I'm hugely interested in Persian cooking (so thanks for the RCP you posted, since I seem to have neglected to send my thanks before in the appropriate thread).

I feel a little ashamed. After working and jogging too much since whenever I was last on line (thursday?) I just didn't have the energy to make food. I bought a take away from Stockmann's (a mall that is supposedly "fancy" and upmarket): pasta with tomato and capers and herbs. It was actually rather enjoyable - acidic and savoury and very moreish. Is this some genuine Italian dish or is it an invention of Stockmann's? Whichever, I shall try to copy it at home someday also. Not all take away sucks.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun May 20, 2007 12:59 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Gary, thanks for the links - as you might have guessed I'm hugely interested in Persian cooking (so thanks for the RCP you posted, since I seem to have neglected to send my thanks before in the appropriate thread).

You're welcome. My Farsi is getting a workout. My girlfriend Zari's sister and brother-in-law are in from Teheran for two months. But I'm also getting stuffed with Persian cuisine. I'm eating so much saffron that I might change my name to Mellow Yellow!

Otto Nieminen wrote:... pasta with tomato and capers and herbs. It was actually rather enjoyable - acidic and savoury and very moreish. Is this some genuine Italian dish or is it an invention of Stockmann's? Whichever, I shall try to copy it at home someday also. Not all take away sucks.

I don't know if it has a name, but there is a plethora of condimenti out there. You put on your noodles what you like. That's what I've always done.
And now what?