Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Potato Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

RCP: Potato Salad

by Howie Hart » Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 pm

I'm particular when it comes to potato salad. For me, things that can ruin potato salad are the use of Miracle Whip and prepared mustard. This is very simple recipe and pretty much what my wife learned from her mother. My only addition is the use of mustard powder.

Potato Salad

5 lbs. potatoes, white or red, cut up into approx. 3/4 inch cubes and cooked (I prefer steaming in a basket)
6 hard boiled eggs (keep 1-2 center slice from each egg for garnish – chop remaining)
1 cup finely chopped celery (use leaves also if available)
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion (red if using white potatoes, white if using red potatoes)
1 green pepper (cut 4 thin center rings for garnish – chop remaining)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika

Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and dry mustard powder in
large bowl. Stir in chopped eggs, celery, onion and chopped green
pepper. Add cooled potatoes and stir to mix thoroughly. Garnish top
with egg slices and green pepper slices. Sprinkle with paprika.
Cover and refrigerate before serving.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: RCP: Potato Salad

by Fred Sipe » Tue May 15, 2007 9:08 am

I'm particular about my potato salad as well. I like a tangy taste more than bland and creamy.

I think the one key thing that must be done to my potato salad is dousing the just cooked and still hot potatoes with vinegar. I prefer apple cider vinegar. I must have mustard in the dressing too.

I think the vinegar technique, or vinegar plus a little of the potato cooking water, is a Julia Child thing.

Fred
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue May 15, 2007 10:25 am

Partiicular also ..I swear by the vinegar on the warm potato method EXCEPT when using waxy potatoes - you will end up with a soupy mess. I use mealy baking potatos, boiled in the jacket and let them sit in the pan after draining to evaporate the remaining water. When good and dry, peel, cut and then drizzle with as much apple cider vinegar as they will absorb without drowning them. Let them cool, absorbing the liquid.
I use a totally different technique with a waxy potato.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 am

A story: in Alaska, we had a very-Chinese friend named Gilbert. Gilbert was born in China and had a young, very beautiful Taiwanese wife who didn't cook, so he would do all the food preparation. The meals were always Chinese in theory--several dishes would appear on the table, and you'd put some of each on your plate. Plain steamed rice was always one of them. Well, every now and then he'd acquire a taste for an American food, and he would make a Chinese version of it and add it to his repertoire to be served with the usual array of Chinese dishes. The result was usually startling and adorably oversimplified. My favorite of those was his potato salad--hot boiled potatoes tossed straight from the pan with mayonnaise.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 15, 2007 7:51 pm

Jenise wrote:....My favorite of those was his potato salad--hot boiled potatoes tossed straight from the pan with mayonnaise.
I thought you said you didn't like mayo. :?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 15, 2007 7:56 pm

Fred and Georgina - I've never made it like this, but I believe that's the technique for German Potato Salad, which I've had many times and I like it. Bacon is added. Many local restaurants around here serve it with fish fries.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 16, 2007 11:44 am

Yeah, I don't, Howie. I was using 'favorite' in a different way--let me say I thought this was the cutest. Also, it wasn't bad tasting at all, the mayo absorbed right in, it wasn't a greasy sloshy mess of cold white stuff, which is what drives me nuts.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov