Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Bul-Go-Gee: What wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Bul-Go-Gee: What wine?

by Jon Peterson » Wed May 16, 2007 9:44 am

We'll be having some sriends over in a few weeks and I'll be outdoors grilling the Korean classic: Bul-Go-Gee (thinly sliced beef that has been marinated in a lightly sweetened soy sauce, green onions and garlic - lots of garlic - and toasted sesame seeds that provide most of the flavor).
What wine would you recommend with this dish?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Bul-Go-Gee: What wine?

by Jenise » Wed May 16, 2007 11:46 am

Zinfandel, or California syrah or Aussie shiraz. All have an extra sweetness to them and the weight to carry the beef and the glaze.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed May 16, 2007 3:33 pm

As always, Jenise, you've come through. You're why I'm in this forum and why I came back after a short stint. I think I'll go with the Aussie shiraz.
Thanks for the suggestion.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 16, 2007 8:40 pm

You're why I'm in this forum and why I came back after a short stint.

:oops: You're so sweet. You know what, you're still in my address book. Just about the time you popped back up, I realized that due to the fact that I formed a fast friendship with someone here in the neighborhood who shares your last name, so when I went to send Candy a first email, it nearly went to you instead. I think you would have been very surprised to get a note from me after all this time asking what time I should show up at your place.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu May 17, 2007 9:35 am

Yes, Liz would have wondered from whom the candy cometh and why. I still have the box you sent the Pleiades in. I kept it because I plan on returning the favor with something - I don't know what yet, hopefully something you may have a hard time getting out there.
In my time away from WLDG, I've been in Oregon and Washington a few times, if I happen to be there again, I'll drop you a line. What a beautiful part of the USA.
Take care - Jon
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu May 17, 2007 9:55 am

Jon, do you get Bon Apetit? The June issue that just came out has a four page section on Korean barbecue. Everything looks so good. Grilled short ribs, sticky rice, seasame eggplant... You may want to check it out if you haven't seen it. The issue is a good one, besides.
P.S. Jenise is great isn't she? :)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu May 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Carrie, I do not get Bon Apetit. However, there is a bookstore not far from my office that, I believe, has it on the shelf. Tomorrow for lunch I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, I just bought some '04 Sylvan Springs Hard Yard Shiraz for my bul-go-gee. The recipe I use is in the New Your Times International Cookbook. If anyone's interested, I can post it. I really love making it and although it's not as good as the Korean Barbeque where they bring hot wood charcoal to a fire pit in the table, it isn't bad as long as you don't over cook the beef.
Have a great weekend. JP
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 17, 2007 2:33 pm

I'm interested in that recipe! It's a dish I love but never make at home. The thin flanken style rib cut needed was hard to get in Southern California, but up here it's actually packaged as "Korean short rib" so I have no excuses.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu May 17, 2007 2:35 pm

Yes, please post it. Thanks!