Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Greek Yoghurt?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Greek Yoghurt?

by RichardAtkinson » Thu May 17, 2007 11:44 am

A recipe I'm working with is calling for a cup of plain, whole milk, Greek Yoghurt. The plain, whole milk is fine, but I'm having trouble finding "Greek" yoghurt.

If I use plain yoghurt, will I be missing a flavor? Or is there an addition I could use to get the "Greek" character?

Thanks,

Richard
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Greek Yoghurt?

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu May 17, 2007 11:54 am

Here is what a quick Google search came up with:

http://www.ochef.com/257.htm
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu May 17, 2007 12:15 pm

It will be different and there is nothing you can add. I would try to find the brand FAGE . Have used this for my easiest desert in the world... a scoop of this yogurt, a few broken walnut pieces all drizzled with an excellent honey....heavenly. This brand is fantastic.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu May 17, 2007 12:27 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:A recipe I'm working with is calling for a cup of plain, whole milk, Greek Yoghurt. The plain, whole milk is fine, but I'm having trouble finding "Greek" yoghurt.

If I use plain yoghurt, will I be missing a flavor? Or is there an addition I could use to get the "Greek" character?

Thanks,

Richard

I buy Greek yogurt; it is unsweetened and has a lemony sharpness - it is oft served with a spoonful of runny honey as a dessert.

I wondered if Whole Food Market in the US would stock it -- I found this on their site

*If you are unable to find Greek yogurt, you can thicken whole milk yogurt by following these directions: Line a colander or strainer with muslin or 3 layers of cheesecloth. Place 24 ounces whole milk plain yogurt in the lined colander or strainer. Cover loosely and place over a large bowl such that the bottom of the colander or strainer is at least one inch from the bottom of the bowl. Allow to drain for 2 to 4 hours. The consistency should be that of softened cream cheese. Place in a sealed container and refrigerate.

I don't know if this means it does or doesn't stock greek yogurt :)
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Thu May 17, 2007 11:09 pm

are you making the farfalle with zucchini and yoghurt from the recent Food and Wine?

We did and it was good - very different
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 am

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Thu May 17, 2007 11:43 pm

John, I was just looking at that recipe -- how did it work with adding the grated zucchini to the pasta in boiling water right before the pasta was done? Did it get very soggy? (I would have thought that saute-ing the grated zuke briefly in the butter might have been better instead....) That was the only bit that had me a little sceptical, otherwise it sounded like a really good recipe and I was thinking of giving it a go.
cheers, Bonnie
no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 am

Belgium

by FrancescoP » Fri May 18, 2007 3:54 am

Do you find turkish one?
We tend to use it as a lower-fat replacement for single cream mostly .....
Ciao,
Francesco

Visit my site at http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri May 18, 2007 7:11 am

I just bought Greek yogurt at Whole Foods yesterday--also found it at a "nice" Publix (local chain)--that find was a surprise.

b
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri May 18, 2007 9:50 am

Trader Joe's also has it.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri May 18, 2007 10:01 am

are you making the farfalle with zucchini and yoghurt from the recent Food and Wine?

We did and it was good - very different

Thats the one, John. I thought the recipe looked intruiging. Just didn't know that greek yogurt would would be that hard to find.

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri May 18, 2007 10:14 am

Richard, I know how frustrating it is to find something that you think would be easy to find, but....

Have you thought of calling a Greek restaurant to see where they obtain Greek yogurt?
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sat May 19, 2007 9:40 pm

No issue with "soggy" - it is just sort of embedded in the dish and has a fairly subtle presence, although you definitely know it is there

We live in Tokyo so we made with a more "generic" tangy yoghurt - not Greek. May have been a big deal but we liked it anyway.