Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tell us about your recent cookbook finds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Tell us about your recent cookbook finds

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 18, 2007 10:41 am

On the recommendation of a cooking buddy, I just purchased "A Mediterranean Feast: The Story of the Birth of the Celebrated Cuisines of the Mediterranean from the Merchants of Venice to the Barbary Corsairs, with More than 500 Recipes" by Clifford A. Wright.

It is quite the hefty tome! I hope to dip into it more this weekend, but it looks really interesting for anyone interested in food history.

I also purchased his later book, "Some Like it Hot: Spicy Favorites from the World’s Hot Zones." Haven't even opened this one yet.

He has some recipes and history entries on his website:

http://cliffordawright.com

What have you found recently?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Tell us about your recent cookbook finds

by Carrie L. » Fri May 18, 2007 10:58 am

A good friend recently gave me The Big Book of Appetizers (by Meredith Deeds and Carla Snyder) as a hostess gift. I love it. Already made two things out of it and they were great...Bleu Cheese and Toasted Walnut Spread (served with sliced apple), and a loose version of the White Bean, Rosemary and Pancetta Spread (served as a bruschetta topping).
I recommend the book. Have quite a few pages book-marked.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 18, 2007 11:12 am

Just yesterday, Daniel Boulud's Braise showed up in my mailbox. I will admit, I've got a bit of a crush on him right now from watching his After Hours program on Mojo TV, and I'd seen this book at my friend Ines' house months ago and lusted for it. In particular, you know how just one picture can get those salivary glands working?, there is a recipe for a pork and chestnut whole stuffed cabbage that my life will not be complete without attempting.

Subtitled "A journey through international cuisine", the approximately 100 recipes borrow influences from all over the world and grounds them in Daniel's solid French technique. How about Beef Brisket With Red Miso and Watermelon Radish, Lamb Shanks Rogan Josh, or Oxtails Asado Negro with Plantains, Peppers and Garlic? These sound wonderful to me. And too, I cannot help but get excited by titles like Ham Hocks with Lychees and Bok Choy, or Beef Shank with Coconut and Avocado because they combine ingredients that would usually never occur in the same meal, let alone on the same plate. From a lesser chef they'd be scary. From Daniel? Inspired.
Last edited by Jenise on Fri May 18, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 18, 2007 11:22 am

Now you've done it, Jenise. I am suddenly famished and I still have nearly 3 hours until lunch!

I'll have to acquire this cookbook too! Not that I actually have any place to put new cookbooks, but they still keep coming home with me.....
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Fri May 18, 2007 3:21 pm

Jenise, I think Basque Chicken and Chorizo Sauté is in that book - top-notch recipe!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 18, 2007 4:15 pm

Eden, this is probably the one: Chicken Basquaise with Artichokes is the title, but it includes chorizo. He says that the dish has been in his repertoire "for years, ever since I worked in the Basque region as a young chef". He goes on, "It was wonderful to see how in love the Basques are with their peppers. You'd see peppers hanging everywhere, drying when they were in season or already dried during the rest of the year. The Basuqes even dedicated whole festivals to peppers." It sounds wonderful, but I bet with that description it's giving Cynthia an even stronger siren call.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Fri May 18, 2007 4:19 pm

Yep, that's it. Variations for those who want to make the dish a little more wine friendly include subbing fennel or celery (the latter being my preference, as I'm not a fennel gal) for the artichokes. Super-duper wine friendly, needless to say, with some of the fab Portuguese wines running around these days. Yum!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri May 18, 2007 5:44 pm

An old book, but one I've never picked up until Now...--Martha Stewart's Hors D'Ouevres Handbook. Pretty incredible for ideas...full of great photos and fun ideas.

b
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri May 18, 2007 11:23 pm

Jenise wrote:It sounds wonderful, but I bet with that description it's giving Cynthia an even stronger siren call.

OK, so it somehow mysteriously landed in my cart at Amazon.com just now.

And the added draw is that my domestic associate, Jack, is of Basque heritage! :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat May 19, 2007 1:39 am

Thanks for the review of Daniel Boulud's Braise, Jenise. I've re-read this book several times -- the approach is even more important than the recipes.

I'll report on a couple of recipes I've tried -- he's improved my cooking dramatically.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun May 20, 2007 2:40 pm

Haven't got one since Andrea Immer (Robison's) "Everyday Dining with Wine." Not impressed. She should stick to the knitting; wine that is.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 22, 2007 7:04 am

I recently acquired Sara Foster's Casual Cooking. I loved her first book: The Foster's Market Cookbook, and this one did not disappoint. I love simple, easy to fix meals with flavors that burst in your mouth. Several times I've made the Warm Sourdough Bread Salad with Chicken and Pine Nuts (pairs nicely with a crisp chardonnay). Love her chapter on Salad Meals. You can't go wrong with this book as a wedding shower gift as she tells you how to equip a pantry for elegant quick meals (various cuisines), plus there is the added bonus of variations on vinegarettes, marinades, sauces and condiments to expand your repetoire. Beautifully written and laid out, great and plentiful pictures, good recipes (make certain to read the side bars). I just love books like this.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Wed May 23, 2007 10:37 pm

I recently became the proud owner of some bound volumes of <i>Le Pot-au-Feu</i> magazine. The issues I got are complete years from 1893 to 1906. I’m having fun reading through them.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed May 23, 2007 10:39 pm

Oh, Peter! How nice!!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 24, 2007 12:23 pm

Peter Hertzmann wrote:I recently became the proud owner of some bound volumes of <i>Le Pot-au-Feu</i> magazine. The issues I got are complete years from 1893 to 1906. I’m having fun reading through them.

Oh, Peter, I'm envious! I love reading old recipes. They speak so clearly not to just the food, but the trends and the sensibilities of the times in which they're written. Fascinating.
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Thu May 24, 2007 1:40 pm

In looking through these 14 years it is possible to see some interesting changes in technology. Early ads are devoid of telephone numbers, but they begin to appear near the end of the period. Also appliance ads change over the period.

The principle author in the magazine wrote under the pseudonym <i>La Vieille Catherine</i>. She is the same woman who later published a couple of significant cookbooks under the name <i>Madame E. Saint-Ange</i>. She seems to have a fondness for bechamel sauce that runs the entire period.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 24, 2007 4:04 pm

Peter, what kind of appliances did they have in those days, anyway?
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Thu May 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Peter, what kind of appliances did they have in those days, anyway?

The variety was actually quite amazing. The magazines are too fragile to scan, but here’s an image from <i>La Cuisine et la Table modernes</i>—in one sense, an early version of <i>Larousse Gastronomique</i>—a book from the same era.

The items in the picture (left to right, top to bottom) are a nickel-plated, electric plate warmer designed for home use; an electric frying pan made from aluminum; a steel, electric grill for home use; and another nickel-plated, electric plate warmer.

Besides large and small appliances moving towards electricity, there was also the move to town gas from wood, coal, and coal oil-fired stoves and ovens.