Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Garlic ramps

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Garlic ramps

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 19, 2007 12:43 pm

At the Farmer's Market this morning they had garlic ramps. I've heard of them but never seen them. They are very long string like greens with a pinkish swelling near one end that looks like the beginning of a bulb of some sort. In researching them on the internet, a garlic ramp looks nothing like what I purchased. The farmer told me she loves to make pesto out of them or to saute them like garlic. I'm wondering how they would be in a pasta, arugula, flank steak salad I am making tonight?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Re: Garlic ramps

by Maria Samms » Sat May 19, 2007 1:02 pm

Sounds like the wild garlic weeds that grow in my lawn Karen. Do the tops look like this?

And does the plant look like this?

If so, I think the greens taste closer to chives than garlic. The bulbs are garlicky though. I use them all the time instead of shallots in the summer.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 19, 2007 1:19 pm

Here is what mine look like.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat May 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Hmmmm Karen...that doesn't look like the wild garlic or the store bought garlic ramps that I have bought. Interesting! Let us know how they taste!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 19, 2007 7:37 pm

I found out these are actually garlic scapes. Best for using in pesto in place of basil. I tried chopping them and it was a bit difficult as they are woody.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 20, 2007 1:24 pm

Karen, I have blanched scapes and marinated them in oil and vinegar--great finger food.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 20, 2007 8:46 pm

How do you serve them in the end? I was thinking of marinating in olive oil would be a bit messy for finger food.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 7:06 pm

Well, doesn't take much oil. Just a little--it tenderizes them. IIRC, last time I used sesame oil, so there was a flavor advantage too. I cut them into pencil lengths, too, to keep them from being too whippy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov