Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Who has "best ever" appetizer recipe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Who has "best ever" appetizer recipe?

by John F » Sat May 19, 2007 9:34 pm

We are having an informal cocktail party at our house on Friday evening to thank a group of volunteers we worked with in supporting a charity called Room To read (very impressive charity by the way - her is the link to their website - http://www.roomtoread.org/)

The format is we provide the wine and beer and all guests bring an appetizer. There is a "contest" for best appetizer and we will vote at the end. The prize will be de minimus so mainly we are talking about bragging rights - which of course matter!!

I just know that somewhere in the collective power of this group there must be terrific appetizer recipes and would love it if you guys can sen in your ideas.

I will of course report back on the winner

Thanks
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Who has "best ever" appetizer recipe?

by Robin Garr » Sun May 20, 2007 8:28 am

How about a Burgundian classic?

Gougères
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sun May 20, 2007 8:39 am

I like stuff with puff pastry.

You can do a wild mushroom saute in a reduced cream sauce, and then spoon the mixture into puff pastry cups or boxes.

If you take two squares of puff pastry and place one on top of the other, and then cut a circle in the middle of the top one, you will wind up with a box with a cut out in it, in which you can put your filling. Then use the puffed, cut out circle as a lid.

Your guests can remove the lid and find the "surprise" inside.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun May 20, 2007 9:17 am

John, how informal is this? Because, I have a somewhat "low-brow" appetizer recipe that people go nuts for. Even our wine group couldn't get enough when I brought it to an "Italian white" tasting. It's amazing how much this taste like pizza--people seem to really get a kick out of it.

PEPPERONI PIZZA DIP
1 cup diced green pepper
1 cup finely diced onions
4 ozs. chopped mushrooms
2 tsps olive oil

1 cup chopped pepperoni slices
1/2 cup diced black olives (buy pre-chopped cans)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (just to bind together)
4 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (mine contained: mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, romano, asiago, and fontina)
1 tsp dried oregano

Saute the first four ingredients until mushrooms release their water and it evaporates. Add the rest of the ingredients to pan. Stir until thoroughly mixed.

Put into a chaffing dish (or casserole/serving dish that you can keep a tea light candle under.) Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until bubbly. Serve with crackers or pita toasts. I think Ritz sticks are perfect with it.

Now if you want to step it up a bit, follow the recipe link below. I served these Miniature Crab Cakes with Mustard Mayonnaise at one of our wine groups, and didn't even get the chance to move them from the cookie sheet to the serving platter before they were devoured.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/13040
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun May 20, 2007 10:51 am

John, I made these spinach and cheese swirls for a pot-luck tasting at the wine shop last week, and got lots of compliments.

http://www.puffpastry.com/recipedetail. ... peID=24044

Robin, thanks for posting the link for the gougeres. I think I'll make these for the final pot luck this Friday night. The wine shop is closing its doors for good as of May 31. :cry:
Last edited by Linda R. (NC) on Sun May 20, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 20, 2007 11:12 am

Linda R. (NC) wrote:The wine shop is closing its doors for good as of May 31. :cry:

Oh, that's sad! :(
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sun May 20, 2007 11:35 am

Yes, it is very sad. They opened in Oct. '04, and we started going there in November of that year. They have tastings every Saturday afternoon, and it is informal and friendly. There were stools at the bar, and tables and chairs. A great place to gather, and you rarely went there on a Sat. afternoon and didn't see someone you knew. They had monthly "wine dinners" consisting of 5 appetizer portions of different dishes and wines to match, and they occasionally had live music on the weekends. They did "distributor days" where they brought in 2-3 of their distributors to set up tasting stations. It was just a fun place to hang out. Now they are holding a silent auction to sell off the wine racks, fixtures, etc.

The shop is owned by a couple, and they are the founders of the Lewisville Chapter of the American Wine Society. The meetings had been held in their shop since the beginning. At the last meeting we voted on a new location - another wine shop. They offered their shop, tables, chairs, etc. to us for free. I guess the wine community sticks together. It will, however, not be bad for their business either.

When I saw this thread, I figured I could get some good ideas for my Friday event as well.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun May 20, 2007 11:45 am

Becca posted a great recipe on FLDG in 2001 for Baked Cheese Olives. It was a great hit for many people, including me, and great fun to make.

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=139187

Becca's post (it's worth reading the responses as well):

We are having an open house on Saturday to celebrate our new home with friends and family. One of the favorite things I like to make for parties is Baked Cheese Olives. Usually I make a double batch, keep them in the freezer, and then pull out what I need and bake them. They are soooooooo delicious!!

Makes about 40

1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
40 large green olives, with pimento

Cream butter. Mix in flour, cheese, paprika, cumin, and hot sauce. Place cheese mixture (covered) in the refrigerator to chill (about an hour, can be made a day ahead). DRY olives. Wrap each olive in cheese mixture by working a small amount of the mixture around the olive. (It's a fun thing to do!) Make sure the cheese mixture completely seals in the olive. Place the cheese wrapped freezers on a parchment lined baking sheet and put in freezer. Once the olives are totally frozen you can store in ziplock bags in the freezer until you are ready to bake. If you are planning to bake immediately, just leave them in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Prior to baking, remove olives from the freezer and allow to stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes (while the oven is heating to temperature). Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.

Honestly, these things are always the hit of the party.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun May 20, 2007 12:25 pm

My goto appetizer is always bacon wrapped dates. They are easy to make and always taste delicious. I know alot of recipes like to stuff the dates with something, but I like it really simply and just stick to the dates and bacon.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun May 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Maria Samms wrote:My goto appetizer is always bacon wrapped dates.

You beat me to it, Maria! I was just going to post that as well. Bacon wrapped anything is soooooooo good!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun May 20, 2007 1:26 pm

My old standby is the recipe for Romanoff caviar pie on almost any caviar website or the inside of the packaging. (And I don't want to hear any boo hisses from you beluga snobs).
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:My old standby is the recipe for Romanoff caviar pie on almost any caviar website or the inside of the packaging. (And I don't want to hear any boo hisses from you beluga snobs).

Man, do I ever wish I could afford to be a beluga snob!!!! :D

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sun May 20, 2007 3:08 pm

John,

I've taken this..dip..spread..whatever to the last couple of parties. Everyone really has really liked it. Its hearty enough for alight dinner also. Nice match with red or white wine.

Basically, Add all of this to the a food processor & puree.

1 16 oz can cannellini beans, drained ( or fresh if you've got them)

1 cup EVOO

2-3 tblsp chopped fresh sage

1 heaping tsp dijon mustard

1/2 tsp +/- cayenne pepper

2 or 3 cloves garlic, chopped

Adjust to desired thickness or seasoning. Serve with plain pita chips or slices of olive bread

Richard
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun May 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Shrimp Appetizer Supreme

This excellent shrimp appetizer could be served as a main dish with either rice or noodles.

2 lbs. extra-large shrimp
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
3 TBSP. Best Foods mayonnaise
1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
1 tsp. crushed basil leaves
2 tsp. chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1/2 cup melted butter (no substitutions)
4 TBSP. olive oil

Shell and devein shrimp (I buy shrimp at Costco already done like this)
Mix salt, pepper, lemon juice, garlic and mayo. Stir in shrimp and refrigerate 2 hours. Pull shrimp out of marinade, set marinade aside. Mix bread crumbs, basil, parsley, and dill. Coat each shrimp with crumbs and place in single layer in shallow baking dish. Stir melted butter and olive oil into remaining marinade. Pour over shrimp. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 min.
Makes 6-8 servings.