Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

4th Annual Terrine Event

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

4th Annual Terrine Event

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 21, 2007 1:17 am

Just a heads up - the 4th annual International Terrine event will take place in July, notes to be posted.

Previous notes are in the archives - last year's are here: http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=2653&highlight=terrine

It is rumoured that one of the contestants has gone into retreat with a case of tunafish helper to produce the world's best ever fish terrine - any truth to that, Jenise...? :P

The judges will be waiting!

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 4th Annual Terrine Event

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 12:08 pm

Bill, that's going to be the best damned fish terrine you've ever had, so help me Cod.

:)

Fun to read back through last year's work, I'd totally forgotten that I'd done that endive tarte tatin last year, too!

For anyone reading on, this year I've got the vegetable assignment and absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it yet. Bill has joked that I'm destined to become a has-bean, where I instead have boldly stated my intention to be one 'hot tomatah'.

Have all the other spots been filled yet? Les is doing fish, or at least seafood, and you're doing a traditional pork and chicken thing. Any word from the rest?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon May 21, 2007 12:20 pm

Jenise, the other day when looking through my recipes I ran across your Oxtail terrine recipe. Still want to make that! Yum!!! I'll have to wait until hubby is out of town though. He thinks I am some kind of freak of nature to be able to eat anything made from an ox's back end. Grew up on ox tails, though--we always called them "skinny bones" for some reason! Not sure where that came from....

Good luck on your veggie terrine.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 21, 2007 1:17 pm

I knew you were actually doing a veggie terrine, but couldn't think of a way of genteelly suggesting that you were going to retire to your sanctum with a selection of root vegetables.....

For any interested, the first and second events are viewable here:

First http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_submitted/wine_notes/tn_451104.html

Second http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_submitted/wine_notes/tn_559602.html
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 21, 2007 1:21 pm

Carrie - we did oxtails in the first event - another friend, George did them as I recall. We also did a choccie dessert terrine.

For some reason Jenise is very suggestible - she keeps seeing things in my assemblage that really aren't there:

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2007 6:54 pm

That's right, George did that oxtain terrine for T1, and then I went off on my own and did a version of oxtail terrine modifying his recipe to a more asian treatment with lemongrass and star anise, IIRC. I believe the latter recipe is what Carrie is referring to.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 22, 2007 12:26 am

Ahh - we just got a taker on a foie gras terrine.

I think I'm in Heaven.....Image
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue May 22, 2007 7:15 am

Speaking of terrines, does anyone have a good recipe for Rillette (Frenchmen, please come forward)?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue May 22, 2007 11:30 am

Jenise, this is actually the recipe I was talking about (from the old FLDG pages). It must not have been one that you did for the annual event.:

Topic: RC: Oxtail Terrine
Author: Jenise
Date: 20050622121002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This recipe is for Christian.

Ingredients:
5 lbs meaty oxtails, trimmed of excess fat
1/4 cup vegetable oil
9 cups beef broth
1 1/2 cups red wine
28 oz can of tomatoes with juice
2 onions chopped coarse
2 large carrots chopped coarse
4 garlic cloves crushed
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 cups chopped scallions
1/2 cup minced parsley leaves
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Season the oxtails with salt and pepper and brown them in a heavy kettle, in batches in the oil over moderately high heat. Transfer to a platter and set aside. To the kettle add the broth, wine, tomatoes with the juice, onions, carrots, garlic, bay leaf and oxtails with any juices accumulated. Bring the liquid to a boil and braise the oxtails, covered, in a preheated 325 deg F oven for 4 hours. Transfer the oxtails with a slotted spoon to a bowl, reserving the liquid, let them cool, and remove the meat, discarding the bones and fat. Strain the reserved cooking liquid through a sieve into a large bowl. In another large bowl stir together the meat, scallion, parsely, lemon juice, pepper and 2 cups of the cooking liquid until the mixture is combined well, reserving the remaining cooking liquid. Spoon the oxtail mixture into loaf pan or terrine pan and add some of the reserved cooking liquid if necessary to cover the oxtail mixture. Chill the terrine, covered, for 4 hours or until set. Keep covered and chilled until ready to serve, then let the terrine stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edge to loosen, dip the pan in hot water for 20 seconds and invert on to a platter. Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.

Serve with a sour cream sauce or mustard or horseradish or any combination.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue May 22, 2007 11:44 am

One caveat - the oxtails normally lack sufficient gelatin to set a terrine. Unless you add some gelatin to the mix, you run the risk of being unable to slice it or even turning it out on a plate without a bit of a mess.

We had one that was a bit sloppy that way, and the perpetrator was the subject of jokes involving the words 'soft', 'hard', 'meat' etc. for some time......
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 11:46 am

Okay, now I 'member. That's George's recipe, the one I started with. I posted it instead of my variation (which I did for a different event, not Bill's).