Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So simple, frozen banana

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

So simple, frozen banana

by Ed Draves » Tue May 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Got it from a DR Weil e-mail, it is too simple. Cut a few peeled banana's into sections about an inch long. Freeze for over an hour and put in a blender until smooth. Darn good stuff!
I don't hit up the kitchen very often so pardon me if this is an old community favorite.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: So simple, frozen banana

by Jenise » Tue May 22, 2007 6:15 pm

It's like eating a sherbet, isn't it? Well, I would think so--haven't actually put a frozen banana in the blender, but I do freeze bananas for other desserts, and I'd rather eat a chocolate-dipped frozen banana than any ice cream I've ever had.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue May 22, 2007 6:28 pm

Thanks, Ed.

Very timely with the hot weather right around the corner in my neck of the woods, and the fact that I am trying to eat a lot more fruits and vegetables than I used to (mainly because I was too tired/lazy to prep them when cooking for just myself! :oops: ).
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Tue May 22, 2007 6:54 pm

I have about 2 dozen bananas frozen whole at the moment. This is a lot easier than all the convoluted things I was imagining doing with them! Time to get home for blenderized banana and chocolate!
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Tue May 22, 2007 7:50 pm

My son wants me to add blueberries next time or strawberries. Sounds worht a go
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri May 25, 2007 11:11 pm

Great idea. I froze two bananas, then blended them with some yogurt, added some fresh blackberries on top and sprinkled a touch of crystallized ginger over.

Nice dessert. It was like a banana ice cream.
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

How about grilled bananas???

by John F » Sat May 26, 2007 8:06 pm

Jenise wrote:It's like eating a sherbet, isn't it? Well, I would think so--haven't actually put a frozen banana in the blender, but I do freeze bananas for other desserts, and I'd rather eat a chocolate-dipped frozen banana than any ice cream I've ever had.

I'll tell you about the exact opposite experience I recently had in Japan. We were at a local restaurant where tables of six have a sunken seating arrangement so you sit floor level but your legs can hang down. In the middle is a table with a small grill - and they grill all sorts of things (meat, chicken, pork, fish, lots of veggies) over the course of 2-3 hours while they ply you with beer and sake (and a decent wine list too - but this kind of night is a beer and sake night). They make whatever is fresh or interesting to them so you don't order anything in particular they just bring stuff to you.

Anyway - back to the point - for dessert they grilled bananas inside the skin - slowly over the waning fire and I would say it was on the grill for about 30 minutes. The skin was jet black but when they peeled the banana this molten banana pudding emerged - and they put in bowls on top of vanilla ice cream. We all loved it and my kids especially went nuts.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat May 26, 2007 9:41 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Great idea. I froze two bananas, then blended them with some yogurt, added some fresh blackberries on top and sprinkled a touch of crystallized ginger over.

Nice dessert. It was like a banana ice cream.

I make my smoothies the same way. Everything is frozen except the yogurt. It all goes into the blender and, WHOOSH, I have my smoothie. I like frozen cranberries as the banana helps cut the tartness. Sometimes I just do banana, yogurt, and almond butter.

rwj

Next time I grill I'm going to try the grilled bananas with ice cream.