Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chicken at 140 degrees?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Chicken at 140 degrees?

by Barb Freda » Fri May 25, 2007 12:19 pm

So I read a nice piece on Heston Blumenthal in England, owner of Fat Duck. He roasts a chix at 140 for 6 hours then browns the skin with a blowtorch..

Of course, I thought right away: isn't that the proverbial "danger zone" for bacteria? And 140 is at the top...

Discuss among yourselves and give me your thoughts here...

If I knew where the article came from, I'd try to link you to it...

B
Okay, it was in a recent issue of Amex Departures magazine, but I cannot find a link, still..sub only, I believe.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Chicken at 140 degrees?

by Carrie L. » Fri May 25, 2007 12:36 pm

Barb, that would scare me. What would be the benefit of cooking poultry that way, did the article say? Extra tender, juicy?
One time we went to a friend's house for Thanksgiving and she boasted that she had cooked her turkey overnight at about that temperature. We didn't eat much of it out of caution, but it didn't taste great either. No more moist than a traditionally cooked bird.
On the other hand, a chef I used to produce a cooking show for cooks his roasts (lamb and beef) slow and low (at 250) and the results are fantastic. Succulent!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri May 25, 2007 1:16 pm

yes, for moisture's sake..he says that it keeps moisture from evaporating from the chicken...

When I googled his name and the title, I found an editorial from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette (I think) referring to it as pretentious...kind of funny to see it pop up there...

And for the record, the guy is in to "molecular gastronomy." Not for me.
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Fri May 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Of course, I thought right away: isn't that the proverbial "danger zone" for bacteria? And 140 is at the top...

I think you’re confusing the zone (40 to 140°F) where bacteria grows most rapidly with the temperature that kills bacteria. According to the USDA Food Guide from 2001, a “hold time” of 140°F for 10 minutes will kill the principle types of common bacteria, all of which are surface bacteria and not internal to the meat. I would question that Blumenthal is able to get the internal temperature of the chicken up to much above 120°F in 6 hours. Are you sure that he was using the Fahrenheit scale and not Celsius? 140°C is roughly equivalent to 285°F, a temperature more reasonable for slow cooking meat. I wrote an article on the subject 5 years ago, but I believe the information is still applicable.

The restaurants I've worked in in France generally use 75°C (167°F) as the set temperature for their holding cabinets. For one example, we would cook lamb legs to an internal temperature of 105°F and then hold them for 4 to 6 hours. When carved, they were perfectly pink with an internal temperature of 125 to 130°F.

Part of the problem with the temperature you describe is its relationship to the manner of cooking, namely roasting. Dry heat methods, such as this, have very poor heat transfer. In other words, it is difficult to transfer the heat in the air of the oven to the item being cooked. Alternatively, if you poach the chicken in warm water, say 155 to 160°F, it will cook rapidly without overcooking. This is how I cook chicken breasts for use later in cold preparations. I usually poach the chicken breast, on the bone, for about 20 minutes to achieve an internal temperature of about 150°F. Overcooking is almost impossible because the meat temperature cannot excess the water temperature. The breasts, when cool, will still be moist tasting and not stiff.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri May 25, 2007 4:17 pm

Carrie L. wrote:On the other hand, a chef I used to produce a cooking show for cooks his roasts (lamb and beef) slow and low (at 250) and the results are fantastic. Succulent!

I do a tri-tip at 250 for 5 hours. I lay it on a bed of onions, coat it with McCormick's Grill Mate seasoning, a sprinkle of soy sauce, wrap tightly in foil. Put on a bake sheet and cook away. The house smells fabulous and the meat is too.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat May 26, 2007 1:49 am

Peter, very spiffy website you have there.
And now what?