Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pallet au Saumon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Pallet au Saumon

by Robert J. » Sat May 26, 2007 10:24 pm

This is a really fun first course. It can be kind of laborious so don't do it for a party of 10 or so. But it is fun to make, present and eat. This will make one pallet:

You will need one large ring mold (the largest size from one of those concentric sets).
5 very thin slices of salmon
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup salmon diced small as for tartare
1-2 Tbsp. red onion diced very small but not minced
1-2 Tbsp. fresh mayonnaise (yes, you should make your own)
Chopped dill to taste
S&P

Buy one small tail fillet of salmon ( you don't want the pin bone section). Lay your knife on top of the fillet and gently slice along the length so you get a very long, thin slice. Do this five times. You may want to slice a few extra just in case you need them. Lay the slices between parchment and place in the fridge.

Mix the rest of the ingredients, except the lemon juice, together so that you have a mixture that will hold together and not be runny. Taste for seasoning and make any adjustments you wish.

Lay the ring mold on a plate. Working quickly, dredge the salmon slices in the lemon juice, pat dry, and arrange them so that they drape over the sides of the mold. You don't have to cover the bottom but you will want to cover the top. Fill the mold with the tartare mixture and fold the salmon slices over the top to cover. Very gently, remove the mold and serve.

If you take some red lettuce leaves and take the ruffled tops off you can make a nice rose garnish and set this on top of the pallet. Or you can just garnish it with some dill flowers. But you will want to cover the folds of salmon with something for presentation.

Good luck. I hope that was clear. When you make one you will easily see how to multiply the recipe for more.

rwj
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

Re: RCP: Pallet au Saumon

by Peter Hertzmann » Sun May 27, 2007 11:42 am

Here’s asimilar recipethat uses smoked salmon for the wrapper. I think your method of molding the arrangement is simpler than mine. I'll give it a try next time.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: RCP: Pallet au Saumon

by Robert J. » Mon May 28, 2007 10:45 am

While it is easier to not have to fuss with the plastic and subsequent risks involved in unmolding, my recipe is still rather high maintenance. Or maybe I just feel this way after making it in a restaurant while under the gun. Still, it is fun to make and serve.

I like the sauce that comes with your recipe, Peter. I'll try that next time. Also, I like your website.

rwj