Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ironing with Bob, Michael and Jancis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ironing with Bob, Michael and Jancis

by Jenise » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:23 pm

I just had a laugh when I passed the pile of napkins I just folded.

You see, I insist on using only cloth, but I hate ironing them as much as I hate unironed napkins. I also dislike the slick patina of spray starch, and as a matter of policy avoid plugging in appliances except as a last resort. My solution? I wait until I'm nearly out, wash about 50 at once, then fold and stack them while warm from the dryer. The napkins, which have a contrasting fabric for a half inch border which makes the bottom edge of the folded napkin thicker than the folded end, alternate directions within the stack, two stacks go side by side, and then I take the top 50% of both stacks and rotate them 90 degrees. I end up with a fairly level and perfectly square stack of napkins.

I then stack a pile of books on top. In about two days, voila! They're 'ironed'. No starch, no electricity, and no labor.

Well, I just noticed that today, entirely by accident (I plucked from the bookshelf for size and weight, no other consideration), I chose Michael Broadbent's Vintages, The Oxford Wine Companion (Jancis Robinson) and Robert Parker's Bordeaux book. I doubt if the authors have gotten along this well in ages!
Last edited by Jenise on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Ironing with Bob, Michael and Jancis

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:31 pm

Cracked me up, Jenise!

I am in the same boat with a cloth-napkin-only policy and I hate ironing them. I will have to try out your method.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:00 pm

Great story, Jenise.

Reminds me I have a stack of wine books holding the door of my wine cellar shut -- have to fix that latch sometime. :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Great story Jenise. I remembered being in my favorite upscale bedding and towel shop last year and I told the owner how much I hate ironing napkins. She said, "my dear, don't you know that when you lay your cloth napkins on the table you always tuck a matching paper napkin inside. Your guests put the cloth napkin on their laps and use the paper napkins on their mouth." She said it was custom in some countries. I can't say if that is so or not, but what I can say is that when I tried this at my next dinner party, everyone waited to see what I was going to do with the assortment of napkins before they proceeded with dinner. It was too funny!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:44 pm

I grew up with cloth napkins. My wife grew up with paper. Well yesterday I finally said: I'm using the cloth napkins. Heck, we can just throw them out when we're done, because if we never use them we might as well just throw them out.

Well I washed them this AM. I'm not ironing them. It's not worth it. The first time somebody dabs/wipes anything the flatness is gone, so why bother.

Hey, at least I got to use the cloth napkins.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:59 pm

Good for you, David!

I make most of my napkins, so I never worry about just tossing them when they are stained. I just whip up some more. By making them I can always have napkins that go perfectly with the dishes or season or color of the candles or theme of the dinner.

No, I'm not obsessive, why do you ask? :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 am

Cynthia, you're so wholesome. I'm allergic to crafts, and that includes sewing. So my napkin problem is always solved by Bed, Bath and Beyond, or some place like that. And when I find something I like, I buy dozens and I'm good for a few years. Always solid black or something almost all-black.

Karen, I've never heard of that either--or seen it done. How does serving two napkins eliminate your need to iron the cloth item in the pair?

David, hurray for you. I grew up with paper napkins like your wife, but I also grew up eating in white cloth restaurants which set the ultimate example for me of all things food, so it was inevitable that in my own home I'd eventually go there. Also, environmentally, I just think it's the right thing to do--even if aesthetics weren't an issue, I'd probably insist on cloth anyway.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:21 pm

Jenise wrote:Cynthia, you're so wholesome.

I think that's the first time anyone has called me that! :lol:

My main artistic medium is fabric (art quilts) so sewing and needlework are just means to an end for me. I also paint in watercolor and oils (no, James, not paint by numbers), but don't do much else that could remotely be considered "crafts."

I'm also puzzled by the two napkin approach, Karen. I just can't picture it somehow.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:01 pm

Funny story and a great one for those averted to the iron. I actually find ironing relaxing - yikes - and do not mind . I too have several months supply of cloth napkins so they get washed and stacked on the ironing board for a day when I finally get sick of seeing the pile. I am a linen junkie and have everrything from cotton to silk, small cocktail squares to shirt sized Irish linen. Way more than anyone can possibly use - cheaper than jewelry I rationalize !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm

[quote="Jenise"]Karen, I've never heard of that either--or seen it done. How does serving two napkins eliminate your need to iron the cloth item in the pair?[quote]

Neither had I. I still wash the cloth napkins that go on the lap, so for me, it solved nothing. The shop owner who told me this said the custom has something to do with not getting grease and/or lipstick stains on your good cloth ones. Anyway, folks seem confused by the two napkins and I don't do it anymore. It was really fun the first try, among our good friends.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:31 pm

When I was a bachelor, I only used paper napkins (or , I confess, if eating alone maybe my arm!!!!!!!!!!). Betsy insists on cloth for every meal (except big outdoor parties), which I originally found quirky but now enjoy. Our everyday napkins are assorted thick colored cotton, if I fold in groups of 3-4 right out of dryer, they seem fine without ironing. But it doesn't really matter because our solution is to put them on table in napkin rings, so perfection is not neccessary. Since we each have our own napkin rings, if it was a non-messy meal we often just reuse our napkins for next meal.

Betsy will iron some of the more delicate linen ones we use for parties. My office is right next to a laundry, he gives me a break on dry cleaning, when the older embroidered ones get a stain its not really that expensive to get them professionally done. I don't think I could go back to paper.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Okay, Karen, now I get it. Since I use solid black, I've eliminated the need for me to worry much about stains, but with lighter colors that WOULD be a concern.

Dale, I like the napkin ring idea. I tend to throw our napkins in the laundry after each meal, and admittedly think at times that's a bit wasteful. Most of the time, they've done nothing more than guard one's clothes.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:36 pm

Don't know if I want to mention this, but wife and I don't even own any cloth napkins!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Robert R. wrote:Don't know if I want to mention this, but wife and I don't even own any cloth napkins!

Robert, you can't help it. You're in Oklahoma! :lol:

Hoping our favorite ex-pat Okie doesn't see this....
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:20 pm

Yeah, but I lived most of my life 90 miles from Atlanta, in northern Georgia. Anyway, us country folk never cared much for them high-falutin' thangs like cloth napkins and such! :lol: :wink:

Seriously, we rarely entertain, except for family and close friends, none of whom are offended in the least at paper napkins.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:53 pm

Robert R. wrote:Yeah, but I lived most of my life 90 miles from Atlanta, in northern Georgia. Anyway, us country folk never cared much for them high-falutin' thangs like cloth napkins and such! :lol: :wink:

Seriously, we rarely entertain, except for family and close friends, none of whom are offended in the least at paper napkins.

Hey, I eat at other people's houses all the time where paper napkins are more common than not, and I'm not offended. Nothing snooty going on here. I just prefer cloth for both comfort and economy.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:06 pm

Man, this thread is cracking me up :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use both but mostly cloth. I don't iron them so fancy folds come in handy.

rwj
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:06 am

We use both also. When we sit at the table..either the 2 of us or when entertaining, we use cloth. But on those days where I'll throw some weiners on the grill or order out pizza? Naahh...paper is just fine.

Richard
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:15 am

Richard,

That's pretty much how we do it.