Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hell's Kitchen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Hell's Kitchen

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:05 am

It's Hell's Kitchen debut time tomorrow (Mon)!
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: Hell's Kitchen

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:03 pm

I watched it last night. I think they said “tens of thousands” had applied to be bullied by Gordon and go for the prize. Big prize though…$250,000 / yr salary and Head Chef at a big Vegas Resort. But ya gotta wonder if any of these people ever watched the show before? It almost seems like the producers went out of their way to find people least suited to a high profile kitchen…or any professional kitchen, for that matter.

Well…I guess it makes for drama. But these are the “best” they could find?

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:02 am

It's definitely show-biz. I do wonder about the guy who cries at the drop of a tocque. What a motley crew. What a hoot.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:57 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:It's definitely show-biz. I do wonder about the guy who cries at the drop of a tocque. What a motley crew. What a hoot.

Hell, half of these pantywaists wouldn't survive in MY kitchen, much less Ramsay's.

When a cross word is enough to have them burst into tears or have a fainting spell....

BTW, I was suprised they eliminated the lady they turfed - she seemed to be among the more articulate of that band of klutzes
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Bill...maybe it was that inability to fry an egg thing. I think she must have gone through a couple of dozen quail eggs. Never could figure out why the other women wouldn't let the "short order cook" fry the eggs??

But as soon as ramsey split the teams into Guys & Gals, my wife said..."that bunch of girls will never be able to work together.."...LOL

Boy...did she call that one.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:06 pm

I'd have turfed the older Oriental crybaby or that blonde that kept almost bursting into tears or the guy who was sent to dishwasher Coventry, although of course the choice was only among the women's team.

I have always wondered what Ramsay would do if both nominations were clearly crap - perhaps just choose his own loser and give the rest of them Hell.

The overdoing the eggs was no worse than the raw scallops (although I like them better that way than rubberised - and there is only about 15 seconds between those 2 states).
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Sorry, but I am not buying that the fat guy who almost passes out and cries at the drop of a pan is 48 years old! Nor am I buying that the gal with the gigantic hooters and the too short little black dress (2 sizes too small) is the best cook of the bunch! And, no matter what "REALITY" show you watch, the black broad is always the complaining bitch with limited talent and a bad hair weave. I've seen enough and won't be watching the rest of the season!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:50 am

Do I care if it's true reality? No. :roll:

Do I care if people have been deliberately selected for maximum drama? No. :roll:

Will I keep watching it? Yes. :wink: Different strokes....
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:36 am

Yeah, me to...I'll keep watching it. I still like these types of shows. Maybe Ramsey considers it a challenge to train less than talented people.

Top Chef starts next Wednesday. I think its the best of these types of shows.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:15 am

I actually prefer the series where Ramsay tries to revamp restaurants that are going down the tube - the elements that make up a successful restaurant are interesting.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:22 am

Bill,

Is that the "Kitchen Disasters" series? I recorded that last night, but don't know what its about? It was on too late to watch.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:37 am

RichardAtkinson wrote:Bill,

Is that the "Kitchen Disasters" series? I recorded that last night, but don't know what its about? It was on too late to watch.

Richard

Must be, if it has Ramsay in it.

Amazing how the owners of obviously failing businesses resist change. Enjoy.