Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Forman Grill (or similar)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Forman Grill (or similar)

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:20 pm

Does anyone have one? How well do you like it?

I'm in a small apartment where I can't have a real grill, and I'd really like to do a lot of "grilled" meats this summer. The broiler heats up the whole apartment, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these types of indoor grills.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Forman Grill (or similar)

by Jenise » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:45 pm

K, not to speak for Robin, but in case he's busy today I'll steer you to love letter Robin wrote to his George Forman grill not too long ago:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=4632
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:57 pm

Oh yay - I'm excited to go get one now!! :)

I'll be doing lamb kabobs on it tonight, along with a 2006 Domaine de la Mordoree Cotes du Rhone that I opened last night.

Thanks, Jenise!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:03 pm

Jenise wrote:K, not to speak for Robin, but in case he's busy today I'll steer you to love letter Robin wrote to his George Forman grill not too long ago:

Thanks, Jenise! I'm middlin' busy and will be for a while, flying out tomorrow afternoon for the NY State Fair wine judging and NiagaraCool, then again a week later for Burgundy. <gulp>

I might add just a couple of things:

(1) It's as useful as described, but I'm not sure I'd call it a substitute for a grill, simply because you don't get that delicious smoke flavor. It's a fine way to make a panini, though, or to get quick hamburgers, fish fillets or boneless chicken breasts. It does take some cleanup, but it's really not too bad.

(2) Be careful with handling. Mary accidentally knocked ours off a low shelf and it failed to survive a two-foot drop, which snapped off the top part of the clamshell and broke it in half, beyond any reasonable hope of repair.

Bottom line, I doubt that I'll replace it, but I liked it well enough that I would have continued to use it on occasion.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:30 pm

I would add that there are a lot of different grilling machines on the market now. I saw an add just a day or three ago for one from Cuisinart that does, from what I could see, the same tricks as the Forman but on which the lid also lays down to double your open grilling space, if needed. I don't own one of these, but I kinda liked that feature.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:39 pm

I have the Cuisinart model. What sold me on this one was that the inserts are removable for cleaning and there are also griddle inserts(for pankaces and the like). Works well for the intended use. I mainly use it for chicken breasts and fish filets. I find it too messy for burgers (except turkey burgers which are not fatty).
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:09 pm

We have a Krups and I use it three or times a week -- just started roasting peppers with success. Toasted cheese sandwiches and similar made it a standard cooker here.

Try a few -- they are quite different. I tried a couple at Williams Sonoma who has a great return policy, before settling on the Krups.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:12 pm

K, we had another post about this not too long ago...here's the link:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/vil ... ht=foreman

I use my little Foreman grill quite often...even though I now live in a house with a big grill. It was extremely useful when I lived in an apt on my own. GL!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:30 pm

I have the Cuisinart Griddler and love it. Super easy cleanup with those reversible grills that pop out and go into the dishwasher. I've done pancakes, eggs, bacon, panini, fajitas, chicken breasts, burgers, veggies.

Heats evenly, well made. I think it would be great for a small apartment.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:45 am

Well, I bought this one last night (what in the world was I thinking, my apartment is only about 600 sq. ft. !!!)

http://www.foreman-grill.com/store/indoutgrill.php

Fortunately the kitchen is rather large, so it fits comfortably into the corner, and it's easily disassembled so I can stick it in a closet when not in use.

I made lamb kabobs that I picked up, pre-marinated, from Whole Foods, and they turned out very well!! The grill part is easily removed and fits in the sink for soaking/cleaning. It cleaned up very quickly.

Oh, and since this is a wine discussion board :)

NV Domaine Lucien Albrecht Cremant D'Alsace Brut Rose: Pale orange in color, the bubbles in this pinot noir based rose went on and on and on. After watched them writhe up from the bottom of the glass hypnotically, we enjoyed the soft strawberry scents and flavors. We had some left when dinner was served and it paired well with the tomato/cucumber salad tossed with canola oil, dill and salt.

2006 Domaine de la Mordoree Cotes du Rhone: This was on its second day, and we split the 1/2 bottle. It didn't pair as well as I hoped it would with the lamb, and I think that may have been due to the marinade from Whole Foods, which had a citrus quality to it. The strong, sweet fruit seemed to come and go, as did the sometimes surprisingly upfront tannins. Quite a schizophrenic wine, at least last night (or maybe it was me??).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:23 pm

K, congrats on the new grill.

Re the wines, agree with you about how great that Lucien pinko is. Re the CdR, your second day experience might have been the sophomore slump a lot of new young wines go through on a second day--might have straightened out on the 3rd and been "all there". Or it could have been dead. One doesn't always know but I'd expect good things from a Mordoree.