Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Plain Vanilla - Use with Care?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Plain Vanilla - Use with Care?

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:41 pm

I have been seeing a lot of vanilla based sauces lately and while some are quite nice, other are quite jarring.

IMHO, vanilla in non-dessert menus is sort of like tarragon - a hint is very nice, but twice as much isn't twice as good - often quite the contrary.

Sure, it appeals to some people - probably the same people that was the target group for Mondavi ('Oak me 'til it hurts') wines and any number of other wines that base their appeal on almost overwhelming in your face fruit rather than elegance or subtlety, but to many others it will have a negative effect.

I've experienced this a couple of times in regard to the craze (is this local, or continent wide?) of adding vanilla the saucing for scallops, and I just do not like it. I find it cloying and bordering on overpowering to the point that I don't even feel like finishing the dish, and I am particularly fond of scallops. A little citrus works perfectly with this food, but vanilla, no.

Am I alone in this - do most others really enjoy vanilla scallops? Maybe I am too much a fan of flavour subtlety.

I like a hint of cocoa, or cinnamon, or nutmeg in the most unlikely of places (not talking scallops here), but at the level where you say "There is something different about this, I like it, but I can't quite identify what it is". Perhaps it is the intensity that is putting me off, but I have to question whether vanilla even in small doses really complements scallops.

What do others think?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Plain Vanilla - Use with Care?

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:50 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:What do others think?

There is a somewhat trite observation to which I ascribe which suggests that a recipe is like a concert with a full orchestra. You want everything to meld into a harmonious whole with no particular instrument stepping out of line for its own sake. The dish should be more than the sum of its parts and, above all, balanced.

I'm like you in that I enjoy tossing in a not-so-secret, secret ingredient into my recipes. There's usually chemistry going on of which we non-food-scientists may not be aware. A touch of this brings out a touch of that in something else, but the original component remains incognito. Nutmeg is a good one for this, especially in dark green veggies like string beans and Brussel spouts or in lasagne.

And, just as with components in wine, there are threshholds and those increments which make a difference. A teaspoon of vanilla may not be noticeable; two teaspoons might be just right; three teaspoons might be no different than two; but four teaspoons and you're gagging.

I've never had vanilla on anything seafood-like (or at least not to my knowledge). It doesn't "sound" like something which would appeal to me, but I've never "tasted." If the vanilla can bring a kind of burnt caramel flavor to a nicely seared scallop, then I'd be willing to try.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:I've never had vanilla on anything seafood-like (or at least not to my knowledge). It doesn't "sound" like something which would appeal to me, but I've never "tasted." If the vanilla can bring a kind of burnt caramel flavor to a nicely seared scallop, then I'd be willing to try.

A local Southern French cafe does something I have never figured out - a tarte l'oignon (nice) with raw sliced scallops on top (yugh - and I love sushi, but not that way!) So scallops can certainly run the whole gamut of flavours/reactions!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:32 pm

I used to love Vanilla, but these days it has to be subtle. Too much or sickly sweet and it's just plain sickly.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:24 pm

Bill,

I have never been a fan of vanilla in savoury dishes. I have tried it a few times...especially with seafood (like lobster) and I just didn't enjoy it. I am not sure if this is because the dishes weren't balanced, or the fact the I so strongly associate the taste of vanilla with rich creamy desserts. I honestly think it's the latter. Thus, I usually steer clear of vanilla unless it's part of a dessert.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:35 pm

Come to think of it ...

I can just taste a nice macadamia nut encrusted fillet of Petrale Sole topped with some lemon-spritzed, chopped mango and toasted coconut which has been oh so gently flavored with a touch of vanilla bean.

Maybe a tropical fruit compote on the side?

Hmmm, time to head to the fishmonger.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:36 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Maybe a tropical fruit compote on the side?

And some German riesling along with it..

Mmm..

Tasty..
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:44 pm

Rahsaan wrote:And some German riesling along with it..

Mmm..

Tasty..

Kabinett or spatlese....
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:44 pm

Last summer in Treasure Island, FL, I had grouper with a vanilla beurre blanc sauce that just did not work with the fish to me, and overpriced to boot. And since I rarely eat seafood, i was aggravated at my sister for talking me into the grouper to begin with! For what it's worth, in a week in FL, the most satisfying meal I had was an awesome Cuban sandwich one day at lunch, washed down with a dark beer.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:59 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:And some German riesling along with it..

Mmm..

Tasty..

Kabinett or spatlese....

I might actually go for a nice tart, spritzy Äbbelwoi* in this case.

----------------------------
*Hessian for "apple wine," a local specialty in and around Frankfurt
And now what?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:40 am

I don't enjoy scallops in any way, shape, or form--at best I tolerate them, so I'm not really one to judge.

It is my own personal preference that vanilla restrict itself to the realm of desserts, where it is most decidedly and enthusiastically welcome (the French Vanilla ice cream at Hayward's in Nashua, NH is to die for! Just writing this has started me lusting for it!).

But keep the stuff out of savory dishes, thank you very much.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:09 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:Come to think of it ...

I can just taste a nice macadamia nut encrusted fillet of Petrale Sole topped with some lemon-spritzed, chopped mango and toasted coconut which has been oh so gently flavored with a touch of vanilla bean.

Maybe a tropical fruit compote on the side?

Hmmm, time to head to the fishmonger.

Gary,

Thought you were allergic to fish? Or is it just shellfish?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:26 am

Maria Samms wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:Thought you were allergic to fish? Or is it just shellfish?

You have a beautiful memory! I do react to fish poorly. I, however, do not know which ones and when or how. In theory, I should just stay away, but I am a complete idiot and, every once in a while with Epi-Pen in hand, indulge myself in a little fried fishy delight. (Think Italian Xmas Eve!!!)

I also have a well defined NSAID allergy which once gave rise to an anaphylactoid reaction. It was gruesome and almost took me out, but it really taught me the signs so I can gauge my reaction to fish when it occurs. Fish just makes me feel weird and gives me hives. I imagine if I challenge my system enough I might get full Monty some day. Someone should just slap me upside the head and take my plate away.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:08 pm

Oh Gary...that really stinks! Christmas eve must totally suck! I am allergic to mussels...and that is hard enough!

My Father-in-Law has a NSAID allergy also. It really makes things difficult..they need to give him a stent since he has a clogged artery, but can't since he can't have any aspirin or Plavix...so now he is going to have to have a triple bypass :shock: . Allergies are no fun!! You better be careful with the fish!!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:11 am

Maria Samms wrote:Oh Gary...that really stinks! Christmas eve must totally suck! I am allergic to mussels...and that is hard enough!

My Father-in-Law has a NSAID allergy also. It really makes things difficult..they need to give him a stent since he has a clogged artery, but can't since he can't have any aspirin or Plavix...so now he is going to have to have a triple bypass :shock: . Allergies are no fun!! You better be careful with the fish!!

And think about me with degenerative disc disease (five of them are shot) and an arthritic hip! Tylenol ain't worth nuttin' and I can't keep taking Vicodin and Valium just to get some sleep. That NSAID allergy is really life-altering.

I will, however, heed your advice and steer clear of sushi bars!
And now what?