Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Haddock help

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Haddock help

by Maria Samms » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:47 pm

I made some last night and I wasn't pleased with how it turned out. I have only had this fish a handful of times and it was in my early childhood. For some reason, I remembered it being a flakier fish. It wasn't...it was more firm, rubbery and very bland. I prepared it wrapped in grape leaves seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, and olive oil. I served it with a lemon butter sauce...but still, it definitely wasn't great. I bought 2 filets yesterday, because they were on sale and only cooked one. Now I have one in the freezer and I am at a loss of what to do with it. I was thinking maybe a fish pie or some sort of tomato based recipe. Anybody have a good haddock recipe? Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Haddock help

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:00 pm

Try a beer batter. Put a little lemon juice on the fillet and make a batter using Bisquik or pancake mix, an egg and just enough beer to make a thick batter. Fry in about a 1/2 inch of oil heated to 375 and turn over when done on the first side. I believe tough, rubberiness is an indication of being over-cooked. A fish like haddock does not really have to be "cooked", just warmed up in the middle.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:26 pm

Agree with Howie, Maria, really sounds like overcook. We cook ours by James Beard's Canadian Cooking method; ten minutes per inch whether on on hot grill, broiler, 450 degree F oven, or hot sautee pan. Hope JB didn't insult any of you Canadians.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:00 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't hear the word "haddock" without thinking of John Cleese:

I am not a looney! Why should I be attired with the epithet looney merely because I have a pet halibut? I've heard tell that Sir Gerald Nabardo has a pet prawn called Simon (you wouldn't call him a looney); furthermore, Dawn Pailthorpe, the lady show-jumper, had a clam, called Stafford, after the late Chancellor, Allan Bullock has two pikes, both called Chris, and Marcel Proust had an haddock!

Eric the Half a Bee may have ruined me for haddock...

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:18 am

Howie Hart wrote:Try a beer batter. Put a little lemon juice on the fillet and make a batter using Bisquik or pancake mix, an egg and just enough beer to make a thick batter. Fry in about a 1/2 inch of oil heated to 375 and turn over when done on the first side. I believe tough, rubberiness is an indication of being over-cooked. A fish like haddock does not really have to be "cooked", just warmed up in the middle.

Or, do as Howie instructs, and add a handful of grated parmesan and a few pinches of herbs de Provence to the batter--if the fish doesn't have flavor, you can put some new flavors in. Plus, I'd use a little less oil than he suggests.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Do you know that the fish was fresh?
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:29 pm

Bernard Roth wrote:Do you know that the fish was fresh?

First question the rest of us should have asked, especially since they were on sale.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov