Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Perfect Poached eggs?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Perfect Poached eggs?

by Barb Freda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:45 am

I think we have discussed this, but a search pulled up a gazillion (okay, maybe not that many) threads.. I want to discuss poaching the perfect egg...what do you do?

b
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Perfect Poached eggs?

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:22 am

Barely simmering water, slightly acidulated. I ease the egg in, use a spoon to "round" it a bit, then slotted spoon to remove.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:58 am

According to Michel Roux, do the following:
Half fill a 4 inches deep, wide pan with unsalted water. Add 3 TBSP white wine vinegar and bring to a boil. Break an egg into a small bowl and tip it gently into the pan, at the point where the water is bubbling. Do not add more than 4 eggs at a time; poach about 1 1/2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift out the egg and press the outside edge slightly to check for doness. As soon as the egg is cooked to your liking, remove it with the skimmer or slotted spoon. Serve immediately, or transfer to a bowl of ice water and leave for 10 minutes. Trim the edges with a small knife to make a neat shape.

Poached eggs are usually eaten as soon as they are ready, but they can be cooked ahead and kept in cold water in the refirgerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, immerse in a bowl of boiling water for 30 seconds ONLY.

Michelle Roux's book Eggs and The Good Egg by Marie Simmons are must have cookbooks for any aspiring or serious cook. BRILLIANT -- both of them!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:01 am

Jo Ann wrote:According to Michel Roux ... Michelle Roux's book

Did someone get a sex change in a matter of a few lines there?

I do agree with his method except if you are going to eat the poached eggs right away, 90 seconds is too short for the typical American extra-large egg. With this short time, much of the white will still be translucent. I prefer to cook the eggs for about 3 minutes. The temperature of the egg when it goes into the water also effects the cooking time. I usually break the eggs into small, individual bowls and allow them to come to room temperature before cooking. I also drain the eggs on absorbent paper briefly before placing them on the dish.

Also, the measurement of 3 tablespoons may be fine for one size pan but too much for a smaller one or not enough for a larger. I prefer to add sufficient acid until the water tastes slightly acidic. There has to be sufficient acid so the eggs float slightly.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:09 am

I don't poach, I 'froach'. That is, my husband has always preferred fried eggs to poached, but I wanted to cut back on the fat of fried. I finally devised a new method half way between the two. I put about 1/4 inch of water in a small fry pan and add half a pat of butter and a pinch of salt, and break the two eggs in as one would for fried. The eggs cook in this shallow, butter-flavored bath in a little longer than a fried egg would take, about three minutes for the degree of doneness in a two minute egg. I turn them after two and a half minutes to set the egg white on top. The finished eggs look like fried eggs, but they are tenderer, ungreasy and have more flavored than poached. It's the best of both worlds.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 pm

If you put a lid on the eggs, you won't have to flip them. The tops will steam. I done that for years with only butter, but even it produces enough steam to cook the tops. There's a name for the method, but it escapes me at the moment.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:24 pm

After being served from the appliance while visiting a foodie cousin, we invested in one of those heavy stainless steel poachers. They have no stick cups and poach perfectly. I like 3.5 minutes, and true love likes 4 minutes. They run around $25.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:32 pm

Peter Hertzmann wrote:If you put a lid on the eggs, you won't have to flip them. The tops will steam. I done that for years with only butter, but even it produces enough steam to cook the tops. There's a name for the method, but it escapes me at the moment.

Peter, technically I understand that should be so and I've tried it, but the egg white doesn't set firm enough for Mr. Bob. Turning them insures that I get there. And I know that name too but can't think of it....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Peter Hertzmann wrote:If you put a lid on the eggs, you won't have to flip them. The tops will steam. I done that for years with only butter, but even it produces enough steam to cook the tops. There's a name for the method, but it escapes me at the moment.

basted eggs?
though technically, basted eggs get the hot water flicked over them, but the steaming accomplishes the same purpose.
We use the cover method.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Peter Hertzmann

Rank

Wine geek

Palo Alto, CA

by Peter Hertzmann » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:27 pm

That’s it!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:45 pm

As my first waitress job in a dive diner, we called those eggs basted eggs...I've always kind of liked them...
b
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:46 pm

oops. Didn't read all the way down..
b
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Did someone get a sex change in a matter of a few lines there?
Slip of very dexterous and quick fingers and American name association -- my bad!

I do agree with his method except if you are going to eat the poached eggs right away, 90 seconds is too short for the typical American extra-large egg. With this short time, much of the white will still be translucent. I prefer to cook the eggs for about 3 minutes. The temperature of the egg when it goes into the water also effects the cooking time. I usually break the eggs into small, individual bowls and allow them to come to room temperature before cooking. I also drain the eggs on absorbent paper briefly before placing them on the dish.
I will add that Michele is French and his measurements and recommendations are for what would be familiar to the European cook. But, I don't think that 3 Tbsp of vinegar is too much for what would amount to about 1 qt of water in a 10" round, 4" deep pan that is half full. However, I am a simple home cook and not a chef -- so I humbly bow to your judgment.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon